Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 6830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just bought a HP 6830 and set it up for wireless then realized I couldn't print when on my VPN but i have alwys been able to connect the uSB to other printers and print when using the VPN. How can I configure thjis printer to allow both forms of printing? Now it won't recognize the uSB connection. I've downloaded thee drivers and tried the 'set up new printer" steps 3 times with no luck.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @wsrshanghai,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you would like your HP Officejet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One Printer to be configured for both wireless and USB Cable connections on your Windows 7 computer. I would like to assist you with this configuration today. Now, because you have went through the setup multiple times to add a USB printer to your computer, I am going to have you start troubleshooting by 'cleaning up' your system of any trace of the printer. Once we have a clean slate to work with we will install both copies of the printer.

For your reference, VPNs generally do not work with network connected printers, no matter the printers make or model. This is due to the fact that the VPN will block the access to your local network that the printer is connected to.  When you connect to a VPN it changes the computers network information so now the computer and printer technically aren't on the same networkTo resolve this issue, simply print to the USB connected version of your printer when you are connected to the VPN. When the VPN is OFF you can print to the wirelessly connected copy of your printer.

Step 1: Uninstall Drivers:

Please disconnect your USB Cable before proceeding.

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. Select All Programs
  3. Select the HP folder
  4. Select the HP Officejet
  5. Select Uninstall

Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the Uninstall is complete please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Check Devices and Printers:

2. Select Devices and Printers
  3. Under the Devices and Printers look for your HP Officejet
  4. If you see any copies of your HP Officejet still on your computer, simply right click them and select 'Remove Device' or 'Delete'
  5. Once all copies of your printer are gone, please close Devices and Printers

Step 3: Clear Temp Files:

2. In the 'search programs and files' box located right above Start type %temp% and hit enter on your keyboard
  3. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.
  4. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.
  5. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied
  6. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin

Step 4: Reinstall Device:

1. First we will install the wireless copy of your printer
  2. Please click here to download the drivers for your printer
  3. Once the download is complete please follow the on screen instructions to install your wireless printer
  4. Once the wireless installation is complete please test printing to your wireless printer (while not connected to VPN). If printing is fine, please proceed to the next step.

Step 5: Add USB Connected Printer:

Do not plug in your USB Cable at this time.

1. On your desktop open the HP Printer Assistant software for your printer. It should look similar to this:

Printer Assistant Icon.png

2. Once the HP Printer Assistant opens click Utilities at the top

Printer Assit..png

3. Under Utilities click on Printer Setup and Software

4. Run the 'Connect a New Device' screen for the USB Cable connection

5. Plug in the USB Cable only when the installer prompts you to

6. Once the USB install is complete please test printing again.

Please respond to this post with the result of installing the two copies of your printer. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi X23,

I think you have already answered my question, I am wanting to do the same thing, connecting via USB and WiFi to the same computer, this is to allow quicker printing direct to printer from PC but allowing me to print from my Asus tablet via WiFi. I am using Windows 10.

I am using a HP 23" Pavillion PC and a HP Officejet Pro 6830 All-in one Printer.

Do I jus follow the same instructions ? 

Whoops, I just noticed that the link on the desktop does not go where you say in this reply, I only get the option to add another printer via usb or new software, ? Please advise

Rgds Russ

HP Recommended

Hey there @Dreamcaster51,

Welcome to the thread! 🙂

I see that you would like to install your HP Officejet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One Printer through both a USB and Wireless connection to your Windows 10 computer. I would like to assist you with this today. The screen that you're seeing when selecting the HP Printer Assistant software on your desktop indicates that your printer software and drivers are installed on your computer. However, the software is not properly 'linked' to your Officejet. By running an uninstall and reinstall we can correct this issue. Please follow the steps below.

If your USB Cable is currently connected from your printer to your computer, please disconnect that cable now.

• Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Officejet. If you see your HP Officejet listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully  please  close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Officejet. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Officejet is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers  list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Officejet driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

• Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

• Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download the newest drivers for you Officejet
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer
  3. When prompted, choose the USB connection method. Plug in the USB Cable only when the installer prompts you to
  4. Once the USB install is complete please test printing to confirm that the USB connection is working. Once you've confirmed that USB is working, please proceed to the next step.

• Step 4: Add Network Printer:

1. To start, make sure your printer has been successfully connected to your wireless network. You must run the Wireless Setup Wizard on the front panel of your printer to establish the wireless connection. If you have not already done this, please do so now.  On the touchscreen of your printer, swipe your finger to the left and touch Setup. Under Setup touch Network Setup. Under Network Setup touch Wireless Setting. Next, touch Wireless Setup Wizard. Select your Network Name (SSID) and enter your wireless password. Once the connection has been established, please proceed.
  2. Click the Printer Assistant software icon on your computer desktop
  3. Click Utilities at the top
  4. Select Printer Setup and Software
  5. Run through the 'Connect a New Device' screen for a Wireless connection
  6. Once the install has been completed, please test printing.

NOTE: Because the wireless install was run second, the wireless copy of your printer will likely be set as default. If you would rather your USB version of the printer to be set as the default, simply open the Devices and Printers folder on your computer. Right click on the HP Officejet that does not show (network) at the end of the name and left click on 'Set as Default'.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. You may also click the 'thumbs up' icon below to say "thanks for helping!" I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

A big thanks to you X-23 you fixed my poblem, have a great weekend

Rgds Dreamcaster51

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.