Question

Student
scottallen603
Message 1 of 2 (593 Views)

Cannot find Wireless Printer from either laptop - has valid IP

Hello,

I have a new Office Jet Pro8500A All in one printer.  I have followed instructions, and configured the printer to access my wireless network.  The wireless network test report was successful and I can verify the IP address on the printer.

Installing the software on my Windows 7 laptop, I am unable to find the printer to connect wirelessly.  I have searched and typed in the IP address by name, but it is not able to be found.

To verify it was not a firewall issue, I tried to install the software on a different laptop connected to the same home wireless network as the printer.  The Mac OS also failed to find the printer to connect.

Why does the printer show as connected, but I cannot connect wirelessly?  I have read I may need to change my wireless network to WAP but is this really required?  I would prefer not to change my home network.

Honor Student
iceartisan
Message 2 of 2 (573 Views)

Re: Cannot find Wireless Printer from either laptop - has valid IP

Try the following:

• click the Windows 7 start button and type add printer and click add printer.
  • click add network , wireless or bluetooth printer
  • EVEN though you may see your printer listed, click "The printer that I want isn't listed" link--This is key as every other connection effort fails
  • click the radio button "Add a printer using TCP/IP or Hostname"
  • type in the IP Addresss of your printer and continue through the prompts--this should work.  Some functionality such as copying or scanning may not work but you should be able to print
  • † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation