Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I just opened up my new all-in-one printer OfficeJet 4500 G510g, and it shows the following message, preventing me from going further in the installation of the product: "Carriage jam. Remove all foam inside device, or clear carriage jam. Then turn power off and on again."

The thing is that there isn't anything inside, jamming the printer. I opened both doors, the cartridge door in front and the paper loading door in the back. Nothing to be seen, even with flashlight. I followed all of the instruction in the related video on this page: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01952299 , and I couldn't solve the problem.

Could you please help me?

Best regards,

Philippe Hebert

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

With the printer powered on, disconnect the power cable from the back of the printer. Try to move the carriage to the middle of the printer. This is to check if the carriage can move at all. Reconnect the power cable afterwards and see if the error still comes up.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

Hi Binary_Zen,

I followed your instruction, and I couldn't move the carriage at all. However, I am aware that the carriage can move while the printer is active, because I could see it move when I opened the door to check if the issue was visible during warm-up. When rebooting the printer, the problem is still present.

Regards,

Philippe Hebert

HP Recommended

I had the same false carriage jam issue especially when printing multiple pages. Following the extensive "help" doc didn't. Eventially I opened up the top and noted that the more-or-less clear ribbon that stretches from left ot right had an inky film on it. (I believe the ribbon provides position info for the cartridge location). After cleaning the ribbon with an alcohol wipe and reassembling, no more "jams".

This is not for the faint of heart! To open the top you will need a VT-15 torx screw driver. There is a screw on the top front behind the cartridge access door, four on top surface and two at the back just in front of the lid hinges. There is a pry slot at the front right side of the access door to start the lift off. Lift up just enough to peek inside. There are two cables which need to be disconnected, one at the front for the control panel and one large one near the back. They do not have plugs and the cables go directly into sockets. Be sure to observe the cable left-right orientations so you can plug ithem back in correctly and for the front one, how it is positioned through its routing fingers/slots. There may be a ferrite sleeve over the back cable which will probably fall off, but can be easily reinstalled. Be very careful not to bend or crease the ends of the cables where they must go back into their sockets. Moisten a lint free cloth with alcohol and wipe both sides of the clear ribbon. You will have to move the cartridges to clean the whole thing. Then reconnect the cables and reassemble everything.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.