Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought the above printer for my own office at work three years ago. As such, it was never a very high volume machine. I have just replaced it and brought the original printer home. It is connected to my home HP desktop; as it happens, exactly the model that I have used in the office. I am running the latest Windows XP. The printer was packed carefully and not damaged in transit.

Since connecting it at home, I almost invariably get a warning that there is a jam in tray 2 (the main paper tray) after a single sheet has been printed. I pull out the tray and, though I wouldn't call it a jam, there is a single sheet that has been drawn about half way out of the tray and stopped. I am able to physically pull this out through the front and the sheet will always be perfectly undamaged. It is as if the order was given to abort the print half way through the process. I have to press OK to initialize the printer before it will print again.

I have looked at the physical aspect of the machine itself and there is no signs of any bent components, or any other damage.

So, believing the problem to be software related, I have uninstalled the HP software on my desktop completely and downloaded and installed the latest version "Full Solution" file. This successfully installed. As part of this process, the latest driver was installed; HPCU1306.GPD dated 4.24.2012. This is the topmost listed. There are, of course, many more listed.

Whilst the printer prints following the fresh software installation and has, a couple of times since, printed up to four pages without "jamming" the issue remains.

Can anyone suggest any avenues that I can pursue? It is a superb printer, when it prints normally, and I am reluctent to just throw it out. It is very frustrating.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help that anyone can give me.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi avi8or,

It sounds like the feed tires on this printer need to be cleaned. Follow the steps in the document below.

'Load Paper' Error Message Displays and the Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Thanks PC Wizard very much for your quick response.

Unfortunately, these actions haven't solved the problem, though I have followed them to the letter.

When I printed the Configuration sheet it does list the paper size as A4 yet the Word print pop up listed Letter. I changed the latter to A4 and had high hopes. The printer printed two sheets this time and then"jammed". The Word 2010 pop up doesn't give me  a "custom" setting, unfortunately.

I can only think that this is a small physical problem; I have noted what you say about the rollers and I will try and clean these myself. If not, get a full service.

If I manage to solve the issue I will post it for other people to benefit.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi avi8or,

Make sure the printer has the latest firmware installed

HP Color LaserJet Printer Firmware Update Utility

Follow the steps to manually clean the feed rollers

1. Remove the paper tray

2. Using a lightly damp lint free cloth tilt the printer up, and then clean each of the rollers

3. Wait a minute before reinstalling the paper tray to give the roller time to dry, and then try printing a document.

Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
pcwizard,
I have updated the firmware successfully, using the link that you provided.
I have printed a Self Test/Configuration report to confirm this.
I ran a multiple page print immediately after this. The printer showed a jam in tray 2, as before.
Recently, but not every time, following a page, unrequested by me, showing "GET /DevMgmt/DiscoveryTree.xml HTTP/1.1 Host: 127.0.0.8080"
I have cleaned what I can of the single, central, roller; only about 25% is accessible. Is there a way to extract the whole roller to clean it properly?
As of now, having completed all of the above, the printer is still jamming after one page.
HP Recommended

Hi avi8or,

No, there is no way to remove the paper feed roller completely that I can see.

If you print a couple Self Test/Configuration from the printer does it jam as well?

Have you tried using a fresh stack of paper?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

pcwizard,

this is getting really frustrating, as it must be for you, also. This is not a cheap printer and has not been overused.

To answer your question, I have always used good quality, unused, 80gsm paper. In case it was something to do with weight, I have just loaded it with 90gsm premium paper. Exactly the same result; a jam in tray 2 after one page.

The self test / configuation page and any other reports printed from the printer's control panel, not the directly connected pc, also stop after the first page.

Now, also, every time I print I get an extra sheet - once I have pulled out the "jammed" paper, which is always in perfect condition - pressed OK to initialise it, which has the the GET/DevMgmt etc line at the top. Does this mean anything to you?

Is there not a full service manual for engineers that would tell me how to strip out the roller, clean it and replace it?

Thank you for your continued help.

HP Recommended
OK, pcwizard, a quick follow up. looking again at the latest Self Test / Configuration printout, done this morning after the firmware upgrade, I see that total pages jammed in the printer is just 14 (out of a lifetime number of 19317) but pages "mispicked" in printer is 186. Does that help?
Thank you again.
HP Recommended

Hi avi8or,

Check out the following post for the error (get/devmgmt/discoverytree/xml http/1.1host: 127.0.0.1:8080) below.

get/devmgmt/discoverytree/xml http/1.1host: 127.0.0.1:8080[

For the issue with the printer mispicking the paper I have double checked the printer, and it does not appear this roller is replaceable. I would suggest that you remove the paper tray. Tilt the printer back slightly where you can access the feed rollers, and then send a print job to the printer. When the roller engages let it roll against the damp paper towel of lint free cloth a few times to make sure the roller is completely cleaned off. There is another smaller tire which is used as the separation roller, and you will also need to clean this tire as well. Once you have done this open all access doors to the printer, and double check that there is no paper (small or Large) located inside the printer path. Let me know what you find out?

1.jpg

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Ok. On the status message, your solution seems to work. At least I have had no more info pages printed. It has never done that before so I can only assume that it was in the set up configuation when I updated the drivers etc recently. Thank you.

Nice idea on cleaning the rollers but, of course, with tray 2 out, it won't print and shows a message "load paper".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.