Computer does not "see" printer (723 Views)
Honor Student
m1918a1
Message 1 of 3 (723 Views)

Computer does not "see" printer

I have been attempting to install a deskjet 4210 on a desktop computer with XP.  During the software install, it asks me to attach the printer. When I do, the computer does not see the printer and the "next" button remains greyed out.  The printer was installed on a laptop and had no problems, so I know the printer works fine and there is nothing wrong with the USB cable.  I have gone to device manager and the printer is listed as a f4200 series, but has a yellow question mark next to it.. When I attempt to reinstall the drivers the computer cannot find the drivers even when directed to the disk drive that has the installation disk. It also states that no drivers are installed.  When I click the HP icon I get the message "No HP products detected".  However, I went to the HP website, used their scanner and was informed that the printer was an F4200 series and the newest drivers were installed. 

I don't get it. HP website can see it on my computer, but my computer can't see the printer. In control panel 'printers and faxes' it doesn't show up either. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but noting works. No firewall, antivirus auto protect disabled, no programs running, still wont work.  Yet, if I unplug the USB cable and plug it into the laptop, the printer is recognized and works fine.  I have read some of the posts on this forum but most dealt with this problem on wireless. HP support  really was of no practical use. Can anyone help?

Grad Student
tinuwangiro
Message 2 of 3 (713 Views)

Re: Computer does not "see" printer

ei!

try this:

•during the product detection sequence on the installation plug the usb cable and go to the device manager

•right click on the "yellow banged" printer entry

•click on update driver

•choose update from cd (make sure you have the cd inserted)

(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
Honor Student
m1918a1
Message 3 of 3 (695 Views)

Re: Computer does not "see" printer

Tried that........doesn't work.  Tried several ways to update driver from disk.  Tells me there are no drivers there. I can even direct it right to the XP drivers folder and it STILL won't se drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation