Question

Top Student
janisko
Message 1 of 8 (264 Views)
Accepted Solution

Computer doesn't recognize SD card when inserted in printer

I just purchased an Officejet pro 8600.  When I insert an SD card or Memory stick into the printer my computer doesn't recognize it so I can't transfer my photos.  Does this newer printer no longer allow this action?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 8 (245 Views)

Re: Computer doesn't recognize SD card when inserted in printer

Hey janisko,

How do you have the 8600 connected to the computer?

If you have the printer connected through a network, Ethernet or Wireless, then you will have to map a network drive to access the SD card in the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00149194

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 3 of 8 (244 Views)

To start out sounds like this is a driver issue. I want to start with being sure that the removal of the software and reinstallation happened in the best possible fashion. I want you to follow my steps so I can be sure that we are both starting on the same page.

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it (this is important). Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer.

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it.

find and install the FULL FEATURE SOFTWARE if it is available :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4323659

Install that and let me know the result!

Have a great day!

-Spencer

PS - Can you tell me how this printer is connected to the computer (USB, Ethernet, Wireless)? 

Top Student
janisko
Message 4 of 8 (236 Views)

Thank you.  We're having further issues so the Geek Squad is coming back to reinstall.  If he has problems I'll show him your information, which I've bookmarked.

Top Student
janisko
Message 5 of 8 (235 Views)

The connection is ethernet. Thank you, Jason and Spencer. I'll report back after the reinstallation.
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 8 (225 Views)

Good to know, message me back when you are ready and I will do whatever I can to help you out! 

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend! 

-Spencer 

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 7 of 8 (208 Views)

No problem, janisko.  If the unit is connected ethernet, then the PC will not automatically detect SD cards without mapping a network drive.  Once you have the network drive mapped, then it will allow you to access the files on these cards or USB thumbdrives used in the printer from the PC.  

Best of luck,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
Rancho_Bob48
Message 8 of 8 (105 Views)

This is great.   Only solves issues through XP.  Thanks a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation