Question

Honor Student
lucylu
Message 1 of 12 (3,315 Views)

Computer is SO slow after installing Officejet J6480, any help out there?

I like my new Officejet J6480, but I don't like the way my PC is acting ever since I installed the printer.  While my desktop comes up pretty fast, it takes forever for the taskbar to load the few icons I keep there.  Also, the computer sounds like it is loading stuff forever, and it takes forever to pull up any of my programs on my desktop.  This is all since I installed the new printer. Anybody been in the same fix?  Thanks
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 12 (3,303 Views)

Re: Computer is SO slow after installing Officejet J6480, any help out there?

Often this type of problem is associated with the PC's anti-virus or firewall  (e.g. Norton/Symantec, Zonealarm, MacAfee, etc) interfering with the printer SW.

Just curious -- do the printing and scanning features from the PC work?

What kind of personal security software are you running on your PC?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
lucylu
Message 3 of 12 (3,298 Views)

Thanks for replying. I have McAfee installed on this computer, but had it disabled during the install. Knock on wood, everything works just fine with the All In One, so far. Everything is just as slow today at startup--I always turn everything off when I am finished for the day.  Computer must have been churning for at least 20 minutes till it stopped making the noise.
Student
Andi
Message 4 of 12 (3,248 Views)

I'm having similar problem after I've installed the J6480 printer:  when I open my Photoshop 5.5 program, it seems to stall and never fully open.  I've uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled it and even the reinstall executible seems to hang - it took a number of tries and finally worked after I restarted my laptop and opened no other programs.  I also tried unstalling the J6480 drivers and reinstalling - even downloading just the driver from HPs site and not the CD.  What's the problem?  I'm a graphic designer and cannot do without my photoshop!!!!

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 12 (3,239 Views)

Take a look at this site for configuring McAfee to work with HP printer SW. Try the changes and see if it helps.
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
pamela1002
Message 6 of 12 (2,155 Views)

I'm having the same issue with my computer. I love the Officejet J6480, but my computer is so slow it's making it impossible to get anything done. Would it help to remove "Shop for HP Supplies" and is there anything else that I can do?  Would it help to remove the Solution Center from my desktop? I am desperate and about ready to disconnect the machine and take it back. I work from home on my computer so I need some speed to it.
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 12 (2,141 Views)

How is you printer connected to your computer?  What kind of computer are you using and what OS is running on it?
Honor Student
lucylu
Message 8 of 12 (2,128 Views)

In reply to Jim B/Wireless Enthusiasts:  Let me try to answer any cumulative questions regarding the HP6480AIO

I am running McAfee and the printing and scanning features do work ok--will look at the site reference and see if it gives me any clues.  The printer is currently connected by USB, but I am eventually going to use it wirelessly.  It is a Dell PC Dimension 8200 using Windows XP Home Edition.  In addition to just being slow it now has another HP problem.  Lately, whenever I turn on the PC all these HP "Solution Center" messages pop up wanting me to install HP Solution Center.  Since I have had Solution Center installed from when I first installed the AIO, I just cancel out of all of these messages.  Today, just for kicks, I put in the HP installation CD when the messages came up.  It tried doing some kind of install and then I got the message:

MODULE     C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\flash9b.ocx   Failed to register. HRESULT-2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

What's going on?  Thanks.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 9 of 12 (2,110 Views)

In reply to Lucylu:

I think your best bet is to uninstall the SW and start over. Before reinstalling, run the L3 uninstaller on the CD that came with the printer. The L3 uninstaller is located here:

\util\ccc\uninstall_L3.bat

That will remove all HP install printer SW.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 10 of 12 (2,059 Views)

To Pamela1002,

Try disabling the HP Digital Imaging application from starting up.  You can do this from the Windows msconfig program.

On Vista, press Start then type msconfig into the Start Search box.  When the System Configuration program starts, select the Startup tab, scroll down until you find the HP Digital Imaging program and unselect the box.  The press OK and then re-start the computer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation