Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I've just bought a Deskjet 2540 All in one printer and it won't print any documents. I've installed the software from the disk and updated via the web as well. The laptop (vista) can see the printer and the hp software can see the printer but when I try to print a document it appears to send but doesn't appear in the print queue, nothing prints. I used the hp Print & Scan doctor which gave a green tick to everything up to the test page point. The test page will not print and I'm then prompted to print an internal test page, this prints perfectly and the print & scan doctor then tells me the problem is with the software and to uninstall and reinstall which I've done (removing all hp software from add/remove programme) before reinstalling from the website and the same thing happens. I've tried using a notebook (Windows 7 starter) and it's the same result.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Lally

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
There is a fix for this, the 2540 driver doesn't currently work with the printer on some windows operating systems but if you use the 990C driver that works with the printer, thanks to Mark from hp technical support for the fix.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended
No one able to help? I'll have to return the printer tomorrow then.
HP Recommended
There is a fix for this, the 2540 driver doesn't currently work with the printer on some windows operating systems but if you use the 990C driver that works with the printer, thanks to Mark from hp technical support for the fix.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue but not understanding the 990C thing.  I run through Windows 7 and according to HP online, the printer IS compatible with my operating system, so is there another solution to this problem?
My printer seems to work when it wants to.  Sometimes it prints, and other times it doesn't.  And when I open my device and printers tab, there are two different icons for the printer.  The basic printer series, and one that says (network)... which one should I put as my default?  I have it hooked up by USB to my laptop.

HP Recommended

I see the comment about trying the 990C but like someone else, I thought - where is this?

I opened the "select drivers" box when in the control panel/drivers in my netbook, to try and find 990C but it is not listed.

If the HP tech support could provide more information, then perhaps I could get my printer to work.

At the moment my main feeling is to return it to the store and ask for a refund as the machine is not fit for purpose.

Its not a good buy as a printer if like me you spend two whole days trying to  make it work.

Can an expert user please help me to sort HP's problem?

I would be very grateful as I am getting really p***ed off with installing and uninstalling their so-called spolutions

HP Recommended

Can you please explain where one can find the 990C driver. It doesnt figure on the CD nor in the drivers list for HP that I can access from my computer. Thanks

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with Windows 7 64. 

Why will HP not reply to this thread? 

I have downloaded the current drivers for the HP 2540. Installed. Reinstalled. Rebooted modem, PC, printer. I've tried connecting with USB as well as wireless. I've tried setting up a new port. I'm about ready to take this thing back and go with a different brand. 

Please help. 

HP Recommended

Also, 

I've tried using the HP Print and Scan Dr., and like the previous poster, it will not print the first test page, but it will print the internal test page. I can also go to my browser and print from there. 

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem... do you fix it installing another driver?

HP Recommended

This has been "ticked" as the solution ... but there is no 990c driver for windows 7 or 8 ... just xp version.

Do I try this ? I have exactly the same issue as described above where scanning works and the printer is picked up on the network, the internal test print works but not the standard test print.

I am running windows 8.1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.