Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I installed and reinstalled several times... from the cd and from the website... it prints the test, but nothing else. I don't even see any signs of printing jobs. Was anybody able to fix it?  If I don't fix it by tomorrow, I will just return it and get another brand.

@Stoobs wrote:

This has been "ticked" as the solution ... but there is no 990c driver for windows 7 or 8 ... just xp version.

Do I try this ? I have exactly the same issue as described above where scanning works and the printer is picked up on the network, the internal test print works but not the standard test print.

I am running windows 8.1

HP Recommended

I wasted 3 hours of my life looking for help and there is nothing anywhere in this website....what a joke!  I finally fixed it and i hope this helps you. 

How to Assign Alternate Print Drivers in Different Versions of Windows.

From time to time it may be necessary to try using an alternate print driver for either testing purposes, or as a work around when the regular print driver isn't working.  The steps below are only for Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.  I don't know the paths for the Mac OS.  If I learn the Mac steps, I'll post those as well.

To use an alternate print driver for HP printers in Windows XP:
1. Click on the Start menu.
2. Click on Control Panel.

3. Make sure you have it set to Classic View.

4. Open the Printers and Faxes folder.
5. Right-click on your printer.
6. Select Printer Properties.
7. Click on the Advanced tab.
8. Click on New Driver.
9. Click Next.
10. Select HP from the first list.
11. Select Deskjet 990c from the second list.
12. Click Next.
13. Click Finish.
14. Click Apply.
15. Click OK to close the window.

To use an alternate print driver for HP printers in Windows Vista:
2. Click on Printers.
3. Right-click on your printer.
4. Select Printer Properties.
5. Click on the Advanced tab.
6. Click on New Driver.
7. Click Next.
8. Select HP from the first list.
9. Select Deskjet 990c from the second list.  If the 990c driver isn't there, use the Deskjet 450 driver.
10. Click Next.
11. Click Finish.
12. Click Apply.
13. Click OK to close the window.

To use an alternate print driver for HP printers in Windows 7:
2. Click on Devices and Printers.
3. Right-click on your printer.
4. Select Printer Properties.
5. Click on the Advanced tab.
6. Click on New Driver.
7. Click Next.
8. Select HP from the first list.
9. Select Deskjet 450 from the second list.  If the 450 driver isn't there, use the Deskjet 990c driver.
10. Click Next.
11. Click Finish.
12. Click Apply.
13. Click OK to close the window.

To assign an alternate print driver in Windows 8:

1. Hold your mouse arrow in the lower right, or upper right, corner of the screen to bring up the Charms Bar.  If you are using a touch screen, you can swipe your finger from the right side to the left.
  2. Select the Search Charm.
  3. Under the search box, click on Settings.
  4. In the search box, type Devices.
  5. Click on Devices and Printers.
  6. Right-click on your printer.
  7. Select Printer Properties.
  8. Click on the Advanced tab.
  9. Click on New Driver.
  10. Click Next.
  11. Select HP from the first list.
  12. Select HP Deskjet PCL3 Class Driver from the second list.  You can also use either the Photosmart PCL3 class Driver, Officejet PCL3 Class Driver, Deskjet 990c or Deskjet 450 driver.
  13. Click Next.
  14. Click Finish.
  15. Click Apply to save the changes.
  16. Click OK to close the window.
HP Recommended

I'm on vista and have the same problem. Have tried what was last suggested however when I select 'advanced' the 'new driver' icon is not highlighted so I can't cick it. Does anyone has any other suggestions please? I too have been trying to work this out for 4 days now and patience is running rather thin.....printer might become closely acquainted with window : (

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this solution - I was about ready to give up on my printer!

HP Recommended

My new 2540 does not print. When I use the "Print & Scan Doctor" it says there is a fault in my driver that the "Doctor" cannot solve. The internal test page is OK. I am using Windows Vista but have also tried on an HP laptop with Windows 7 with the same result (Not printing)

HP Recommended

Thanks for this information. I use the list for Windows Vista.

My problem is that when I come to item 6 "Click new driver" this tab is not active.

HP Recommended

About the list for Vista: Add an item 3a) Click on "Administrator" and the "New Driver" icon is active

HP Recommended

this is unbelievable, hp fix this!!!

windows 7 driver isnt working :indifferent:

4 hours of furstration later, it finally work with a compleet different drive BAH!

HP Recommended

forgot to say thanks for the solution!

HP thank you for nothing, your doctor progam isnt helping either

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, its been 4 days since I have been troubleshooting. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.