Deskjet 5550 - "Printer Offline" (534 Views)
Top Student
toxicrisk
Message 1 of 12 (534 Views)

Deskjet 5550 - "Printer Offline"

I received a Gateway all-in-one computer and my Deskjet 5550 worked fine for a month or so. All of a sudden it stops printing and shows a "Printer Offline" error message.

Everything possible has been tried including manually uninstalling and reinstalling the printer via Windows 8 auto install hardware finder, uninstalling and installing new drivers, running auto-fixes from HP, Microsoft and Gateway. Even had an IT guy come to the house and after an hour or two, couldn't get it going.

Seems to be online until you try to print a page and then it kicks offline. Job is in the queue but doesn't print.

Any help would be awesome.   

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 2 of 12 (516 Views)

Re: Deskjet 5550 - "Printer Offline"

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I see that you're having an issue with the printer showing offline. I would suggest looking at this thread that Medic1 made.

**If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!**

Let me know the outcome.

THX

Also, remember if you find this post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
Top Student
toxicrisk
Message 3 of 12 (509 Views)

I appreciate the link. I can't find any of the things he's referring to however in Windows 8. There is no HP software on the new computer, just the latest drivers. If I access the printer through the control panel, there is no menu/setup/network and no network configuration page. I can't find the printer's IP address.

"On your printer, go to menu/setup/network and press OK.  Inside the network menu, print a "network configuration page" so you can see the IP address and other settings for your printer."

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 4 of 12 (505 Views)

OK, how are you connected to the desktop, USB? 

If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.
I really appreciate it!

THX
Also, remember if you find this post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
Top Student
toxicrisk
Message 5 of 12 (502 Views)

Yes. Just a USB cable running from the printer to the computer.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 6 of 12 (498 Views)

Have you tried using a different USB cord? 

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
Top Student
toxicrisk
Message 7 of 12 (496 Views)

No. It worked at one point and then just stopped. Could be this IP address thing but I need Windows 8 instructions I guess. 

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 8 of 12 (494 Views)

[ Edited ]

**If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.
I really appreciate it!**

Well, an IP address wouldn’t be the cause of this because you're connected with a USB. 

Try this, Unplug the USB cord from the printer and computer. After that, turn the printer off and unplug the printer from the printer and wall. 

Wait about 30 sec then, go ahead and plug the printer back in with the USB cord and let me know if you're able to print and for how long.

THX

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
Top Student
toxicrisk
Message 9 of 12 (470 Views)

Unfortunately that didn't help. Print job loads about 1.68MB out of 2.06 and then just stops loading the page.  

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 10 of 12 (465 Views)

OK, if you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

I would suggest trying a different USB cord, and if you replace the cord, I would do a fresh uninstall/install with the new cord. 

Let me know the outcome. 

THX

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation