Question

Honor Student
Bubby111
Message 1 of 6 (381 Views)

Deskjet 5740

I now have a new computer with a Windows 7 (32-bit) operating system. When I hook my computer up with a USB cable to the printer it can't find my HP Deskjet 5740 printer driver.  Is there one available for this machine or is this printer not supported by Windows 7?  Thanks!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (376 Views)

Re: Deskjet 5740

The Deskjet 5740 is available through Windows Update.  Install it as shown in this document.  You will need to have the computer connected to the internet to allow the drivers to be downloaded.  There are some troubleshooting steps near the bottom of the document if the installation does not complete automatically.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Bubby111
Message 3 of 6 (372 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your assistance Bob_Headrick.  I should have mentioned that I'd already tried downloading the driver.  It said that this particular driver was not downloadable; so I'd have to connect to the internet and plug my USB connector between my activated printer and the computer.  Supposedly Windows 7 already had the driver loaded and would find and install it.  That unfortunately didn't work.  Windows 7 could not find/did not have the driver I needed.  Any other thoughts you may have would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 6 (365 Views)

As I mentioned before there are some troubleshooting steps near the bottom of the document if the installation does not complete automatically.  Did you try these?

If the troubleshooting steps at the end of the link I gave above do not resolve your issue you could download the driver from the Microsoft Catalog Update site.  This is not particurlarily user friendly.  You will need to use Internet Explorer and then choose the file that is 11.4Mb in size for your 32 bit Windows 7 system.  Download the file then expand it.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
Bubby111
Message 5 of 6 (352 Views)

After following all of the troubleshooting steps to no avail, I downloaded the 11.4MB file, but could not see how to expand it. There were no executable files.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 6 (343 Views)

Try the following:  open a DOS prompt by clicking Start, put cmd.exe in the search box.  Click on cmd.exe, then in the command prompt cd to the directory where you stored the download cab file.  Then give the following command:

Expand   *.cab    -f:*   .\

This will extract all the driver files.  You could next go to Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer and say you have a disk, then browse to the directory where you expanded the files.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation