Question

Student
jdr3x
Message 1 of 36 (16,196 Views)

Deskjet F4180 and Windows 7

I'm trying to download my deskjet on my new HP computer and it keeps saying that since I have windows 7 instead of XP or 2000 (or less) it is not compatable - what do I need to do to be able to use my printer?
Teacher
goes2eleven
Message 2 of 36 (16,194 Views)

Re: Deskjet F4180 and Windows 7

Your DJ F4180 will work fine in windows 7.  here is the driver you need to install.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4062&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3177566

-GOES211

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?" - Nigel Tufnel
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 3 of 36 (16,186 Views)

What have you tried to do?  You should just be able to plug the printer into the computer via USB and it will automatically find the drivers which are built into Windows 7.

I am employed by HP
rmt Student
Student
rmt
Message 4 of 36 (16,021 Views)

Hi,

I'm also having trouble with DJ F4180. I have downloaded the software at the link you recommend (for windows 7) and have ran it at least 5 times. the driver will not work and the rest of the software install crashes (fatal error) when it is almost finished installing.  if you have anyother ideas it would be appreciated.

thx

mark

Top Student
Buzzrd62
Message 5 of 36 (15,970 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I have downloaded the new Win7 32bit full feature driver package for the F4180, but get the message that the divers were not successfully loaded.  I have noticed that, even though I have just loaded the drivers with the software that I have downloaded, Windows is retrieving the drivers from Windows Update, and these are the drivers that are failing.  Don't know if the drivers are supposed to be loading from Windows Update or not, but just thought I'd at least mention that.  I have tried this many times over the last couple of weeks since I upgraded my system from Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Win7 Home Premium 32 bit.  I have manually uninstalled the hardware and drivers via Windows control panel and then completely reinstalled as well, all to no effect...drivers fail to load ever time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Top Student
Buzzrd62
Message 6 of 36 (15,968 Views)

@goes2eleven

I've used that link to download the update several time....unfortuately up to this point it has not worked.

PhD Student
Dot4
Message 7 of 36 (15,956 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey guys try this and let me know how it works

1. Disconnect the printer from the pc
  2. Click on start then all programs and open the folder that is labeled HP.
  3. Find your printer and you should have the option to uninstall select this and uninstall the printer.
  4. If you downloaded the software and saved it go ahead and launch the software, if you did not save it then you will need to download the software from HP.com
  5. You just need to launch the software it should open and ask you if you would like to install, just exit and close the software.
  6. Click on the Windows start icon and you should see a Search program and files box, in this box type %temp% it should find the temp folder, go ahead and open it.
  7. What you are looking for is a folder that starts with 7z, to be sure that you get the latest install please sort by date and select the latest one, once you locate this folder open it and you should see a folder with your printer.  Open this folder and you should see a folder util, open this and open the folder ccc and you want to look for a Windows batch file called uninstall_l3, double click on this and it will launch an uninstall program for your printer software, let the software complete the uninstall which should cause your PC to restart .
  8. Go to HP.com and in the upper right hand your will see a search box, type in your printers model and hit enter.  Then under your printer select software and downloads, then select Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit and select HP Print Software Patch When Upgrading Vista to Windows 7 and install this.
  9. Then install the Windows 7 software for your printer.
I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**
Honor Student
JAYKAY51
Message 8 of 36 (15,925 Views)

Hi All ....

Same problem here !

Any response from HP ..... pretty poor state of affairs if such a simple (?) problem can't be solved quickly.

Best wishes for 2010.

Paul

Top Student
Buzzrd62
Message 9 of 36 (15,896 Views)

@ Dot4

Thanks for the reply.  I followed your directions exactly, and thought it was looking promising...but the driver failed to load again.  Here's the drivers I see loading and the result:

USB Composit Device - OK

USB Printing Support - OK

HP Deskjet F4100 - OK

HP Deskjet F4100 Printer series (DOT4USB) - OK

HP Deskjet F4100 series - FAILED

IEEE 1284.4 Compatible Printer - OK

Deskjet F4100 (DOT4PRINT) - OK

After the driver fails to load, the software that it installing (DJ_AIO_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe) eventually says "Device Setup has Failed to Complete", and I click Next.  The software load continues with "Configuring product..." and eventually I get a window popup that says "Fatal error during installation", click ok, and another window pops up that:

Analyzes installation error logs...

gathers intallation error logs

and then creates an error log archive

sends the error report to HP

says "an automated fix is not available at this time. please follow the manual steps on the next screen to try to fix this problem "

PhD Student
Dot4
Message 10 of 36 (15,943 Views)

Buzzrd62,

I would like know if you have any anti-virus or 3rd party firewalls running at the time of the install/

either way I would like to capture you intsall log files if you wouldn't mind collecting them and sending them to me.

Here is how to get them.

1.  from your start menu you will see the search program and files box, in that box type %temp% then it should display your temp folder go ahead and open it.

2. What you need to do is go towards the top and click on date modified this will put the most recent to the top

3. The file you need starts with a 7z ensure this is the most recent 7z file and open it, then it should display a folder of your printer open this folder.

4. there will be a folder called util..open that then look for a folder called ccc and open that, then look for a windows batch file called collect and double click on this.  it will run a program that will collect your latest HP printer install and should place it on your desktop in a zip file if you can send this to me I will take a look at it and try to figure out the issue....

Happy New Year too all

I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation