Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@bigbri wrote:

i am new to the site but was intrigued when I read that you provided pictures of an officejet 8500 encoder strip

anyway I can get those from you 

The pictures are of an Officejet 6500 encoder strip, the 8500 would likely be similar.  See the pictures embedded in this post.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hey Bob,

I had the same problem....as per your instructions I reinstalled ribbon.  Carriage goes forward and backwards with loud bang..Bang sound.  Resulting in 2 new error messages.

1- Ink system failure

2- Carriage jam

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

HP Recommended

@Spaniard007 wrote:

Hey Bob,

I had the same problem....as per your instructions I reinstalled ribbon.  Carriage goes forward and backwards with loud bang..Bang sound.  Resulting in 2 new error messages.

1- Ink system failure

2- Carriage jam [snip]

What printer model?  The carriage jam message and carriage banging in the sides indicates the encoder is not working.  I would suggest checking to make sure it is properly threaded through the carriage and properly attached.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

i have the same problem with my officejet 6500 and ive installed the ribbon, but it still doesnt work. how can i fix t? the error message is: the printerhead  instailled is not intended for this printer or is damaged. please help!

HP Recommended
Hey there, I would recommend this solution provided by Bob_Headrick  

Bob_Headrick wrote:

I would suggest removing the printhead and cleaning the electrical contacts with a damp lint-free wipe (such as a clean coffee filter) as shown within http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01643079.  If that does not resolve the issue you will likely need a new printhead.

Edited the link to pertain to YOUR product erniex3

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

HP Recommended

I took your advice, took a little time but I got it to work.

I removed the ink cartridges & ran into a problem, I couldn't get it to work again, I cleaned the gunk ink off a couple times and finally the printer ran a report, (succeeded).

Thanks for the great help.

Ron

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  It appears quite detailed which is good.  There are a couple of points that I would like to express:  1. I received the strip in a plastic bag, upon removal I could clearly see a crease in the ribbon.  Will this crease impede the ability of my printer to work?

2. Can you provide a photo or diagram of how the ribbon is run through the ink jets ?

Best regards,

Jonathan Hyde

HP Recommended

Your instructions on how to install the ribbon were detailed and helpful as I was able to complete this task, however, now I have an error message: Clear paper jam.  Do you have any suggustions  as to how to make my printer functional again?  You assistance is greatly appreciated.

J. Scott Hyde

HP Recommended

@HYDE wrote:

Thank you for your response.  It appears quite detailed which is good.  There are a couple of points that I would like to express:  1. I received the strip in a plastic bag, upon removal I could clearly see a crease in the ribbon.  Will this crease impede the ability of my printer to work?

2. Can you provide a photo or diagram of how the ribbon is run through the ink jets ?

Best regards,

Jonathan Hyde

A crease in the encoder would likely cause an issue if it cannot be straightened out without optical distortion.

For an example of how the encoder is threaded  see the pictures embedded in this post.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

@HYDE wrote:

Your instructions on how to install the ribbon were detailed and helpful as I was able to complete this task, however, now I have an error message: Clear paper jam.  Do you have any suggustions  as to how to make my printer functional again?  You assistance is greatly appreciated.

J. Scott Hyde

If this is for your c5550 printer the page here may help.  How was the encoder strip originally damaged?  If it was a result of clearing a paper jam it may be that a peice of paper remains in the mechanism, I would look carefully for scraps.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.