Download timing out (2822 Views)
Honor Student
TadKnowsBest
Message 1 of 7 (2,822 Views)

Download timing out

I recently moved to a different city and found myself unable to locate the power cable for my PSC 1440 all-in-one. I checked a Goodwill for a replacement and sure enough there was a PSC 1610 in perfect condition and complete with its power cable. I rejoiced.

When I returned home I found that the installation disc was too scratched to use. This didn't faze me, though, because I knew about hp.com. I quickly found my driver on this website and proceeded to download it. It's almost 500 Mb, though, so the dowload would time out after a few hours. Again, this didn't faze me. I figured I'd just stay up late and try when the servers were less busy. I was getting about 100 kb/s in the daytime, so surely at 2:00 in the morning I'd do better. Unfortunately, even as I tried continually from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. I found that my average download speed hung at around 65 kb/s (less than during the day?!). Meanwhile I'm dowloading attachments from Google at 2 Mb/s.

I'd like to know if there's a third party website you guys recommend for trying my download. I've found nothing so far, not even a torrent. Buying a disc, as your shipping prices are so outrageous, is not an option. 10 dollars for 5-7 day shipping of a DISC? So, given that I cannot finish the download even with my high speed internet access and cannot buy a disc because it would cost more than the value of my printer . . . I would like it if HP would kindly send me a disc for free. I don't think this will happen, but the frustration of this experience has lead me to make such unrealistic requests. It's unfortunate, I think, that expecting real service in this case is a fantasy. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (2,807 Views)

Re: Download timing out

I am not sure what your issue is with the download, I am downloading the file now at 151Kbps (which is the max for my DSL connection) and it appears it will finish in an hour.

I do not think it is unreaonable for HP to charge $10 to supply a replacement CD for a product that is long out of warranty.  

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 7 (2,801 Views)

Re: Download Successful

OK, the download finished for me successfully a few minutes ago.  I would suggest you try again....

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
TadKnowsBest
Message 4 of 7 (2,794 Views)

Ten dollars IS unreasonable. The shipping costs them about a dollar if they use First Class (which they must be using given the 5-7 business days). Also, a PSC 1440 or 1610 could still be found in stores in 2006. It's not ancient. I think they were both released in 2005. Why should it be so difficult to service the owner of a four or three year old printer? Is it expected that these things break after two years or something?

All I want is either a reasonable download rate or a disc to be supplied to me at the cost of making and sending it. I am a paying customer, after all. I purchased this product three years ago and I need the software to get it running. As a business, HP should expect this sort of thing. They should not be trying to make a profit off the discs they send to desperate customers like me. 

I retried the download many times throughout the day today and last night. Even during off hours I got terribly low speeds. The best speed I got this morning was 80 kb/s. Without fail, the download times out and I get a corrupted .exe. I even tried this at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. The connection speeds there are usually mind bogglingly fast. I logged in at a laboratory and got only a marginally better speed of 110 kb/s. It still timed out.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 7 (2,820 Views)

Why dont you install a download manager like Free Download Manager and try downloading the file?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
TadKnowsBest
Message 6 of 7 (2,785 Views)

Good idea! I had not thought of that. I'm confident it will work this time.

Thanks for the help! 

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 7 (2,765 Views)

Thanks. If this works, then I request you to mark my post as the Solution so that other users with the same issue can benefit from this thread. Also, please spread some Kudos to everyone who's helped you.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation