F4180 - Fatal Error on install - MSI.dot4wrp40 on Windows 7 (4000 Views)
Top Student
rolobun
Message 1 of 2 (4,000 Views)
Accepted Solution

F4180 - Fatal Error on install - MSI.dot4wrp40 on Windows 7

[ Edited ]

What is the latest advice or help on installing software for a HP F4180 all-in-one device.

2 days ago I bought a brand new HP computer that runs Windows 7 64bit. It is essentially as supplied although I have uninstalled Norton and installed Microsoft Security essentials. I'm now trying to move over devices from my old XP computer and I've got stuck with the F4180 all-in-one printer,scanner,copier..

I didy plug my F4180 into the new computer. It downloaded drivers and I can print. However when I then come to try and install the full software from your website for Windows 7 that would allow me to use the scanner then I get a "Fatal Error" and reference MSI.dot4wrp40. When I look further into the details I see that the install has failed "The windows Installer Service could not be accessed. MSIInstall failed 1603.

Since then I have unplugged the device, run the uninstall_L2 and uninstall_L3 from the ccc directory. Looked for a hpzsetup.exe.txt to rename (not found it), looked for twain files (another item on forums) and not found those. I have applied the HP patch for upgrading from Vista and run it with no visible effect, I've found a file called twainfix.exe and run that, once again with no visible effect. I am completely out of ideas.

Neil

Top Student
rolobun
Message 2 of 2 (3,886 Views)

Re: F4180 - Fatal Error on install - MSI.dot4wrp40 on Windows 7

Just to close this thread off. I emailed HP Support andthey suggested stuff that I had already tried. However I noticed that my system was not updating Office with Service Pack 1 . Windows Update was failing to apply the service pack. I downloaded Office 2007 SP2 and installed that myself. That install failed but when I started the software it said that it was SP2. I ran Windows Update again and it found a load of more patches for Office 2007. I set it to do the updates and these failed. However I "tried again" and suddenly they were gone as if they had applied and when I ran Windows Update again there was nothing to apply. All was installed.

I discussed this with HP. They recommedned that I restored the system to the software that was on the computer when I bought it. As I had only had the computer for a week then this was easy to do. The first thing I did after that was install the F4180 software. It went on fine. I am now in the process of installing all the other software and praying that I never have to re-install the F4180 software again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation