Question

Honor Student
jsperko
Message 1 of 7 (1,025 Views)

Fatal Error Installing with no error code or Event log entry - Laserjet 200 color M251nw

I successfully got to the point where I can print wirelessly on this printer.  However, after the installer finishes this part of the install, it continues on (I guess to install more software) but gets a Fatal Error ("A fatal error occurred preventing product use"), then tells me to Cancel.  There's no error code and no entry in the Event Viewer.  Fortunately, it prints OK wirelessly, but I'm wondering what I missed.  Thanks for any help.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 7 (1,013 Views)

Fatal Error Installing with no error code or Event log entry - Laserjet 200 color M251nw

Hello jsperko

What printer model are you using and what operating system?

Have you gone through the article "A 'Fatal Error' (MSI error) Displays on the Computer During HP Software Installation in Windows"? Typically the error is accompanied by more detail or a 4-digit code.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
jsperko
Message 3 of 7 (1,010 Views)

Re: Fatal Error Installing with no error code or Event log entry - Laserjet 200 color M251nw

Printer model:  In the title of the first post.

All it says is "X Error " and the text in the first post--no error number or other message.  I looked at that link already; all of the errors have accompanying messages; this one doesn't.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 7 (1,009 Views)

Hello jsperko

I now you see you have the laserjet 200 color M251nw. For some reason my browser wasn't showing me the entire thread title so I didn't see it. What operating system are you running? Does the printer have any problems installing on another computer? You mention it prints wirelessly is the problem only when connected through USB?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Honor Student
jsperko
Message 5 of 7 (1,006 Views)

Re: Fatal Error Installing with no error code or Event log entry - Laserjet 200 color M251nw

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

The driver got installed, but I think Windows did it, not the HP installer on the CD.  It prints OK wirelessly.  I don't have another computer.

Printing is not the problem; the HP installer on the CD supplied with the printer gets a fatal error--after it detects the printer on the wireless network, it shows the printer in the dialog box, I select the printer, I push Next, then the fatal error.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 7 (1,000 Views)

Hello jsperko

Since you don't have another computer try creating a new User account on your computer. This will help isolate the problem to just your user account or not (give the new user account administrator permissions so that it can install the drivers). Once the new user account is made log into it and attempt to install the printer again. Let me know what happens.

Honor Student
jsperko
Message 7 of 7 (104 Views)

I had the same problem for the same printer for the same operating system, even when running in the administrator's account.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation