Question

Honor Student
VMunoz909
Message 1 of 14 (11,387 Views)

Fatal Error while installing HP Deskjet F4400. Please Help!

I've recently purchased the HP Deskjet F4400 All-in-one printer for my Windows XP. I set the printer up and am now trying to install the software cd that came with it. However, everytime it tries to install, a fatal error always occurs and the software is removed and I'm back to square one. I was automatically sent a few solutions to try to fix the problem such as disc cleanup, re-inserting the cd, removing most of my system startup programs, etc. I've tried all of them and neither of the solutions provided allow me to bypass that "fatal error" message. Please someone help! I would really like to test out my new printer for the first time!
Student
nramos79
Message 2 of 14 (11,265 Views)

Re: Fatal Error while installing HP Deskjet F4400. Please Help!

I'm having the same problem but mine started when I upgraded to Windows 7 the other day.  We just bought this printer in July.  I am not very computer savvy and hoping that there is some fix for this. 

Honor Student
pyradome
Message 3 of 14 (11,378 Views)

I am having the exact same problem.  I am not getting any help from HP support.  I have tried numerous times to run the fixes they recommend with no success.  I would not recommend purchasing an HP product in the future.  I am wasting too much time dealing with this issue.  May you both have a better experience!

Honor Student
VMunoz909
Message 4 of 14 (11,346 Views)

Turns out, although the instructions state SPECIFICALLY not to plug in the USB cable until prompted, do it anyway first. My computer recognized the printer and installed it with no issues whatsoever. Problem solved.

Honor Student
pyradome
Message 5 of 14 (11,339 Views)

Okay, so the lesson learned here is to do the OPPOSITE of what ever directions are given!!!!   Amazing!  :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
Terry953
Message 6 of 14 (11,036 Views)

I'm having the exactly same problems with an HP All in ONE F2480 model but with one major difference.

I have two PC's, My No.2 took the installation without any problems and works a treat, I am very pleased, but my No.2 PC has all the problems mentioned in the above threads and I am going through the HP helpline hoop, but lets be fair they are very attentive and are bubbling over with ideas, and reply well within the stated time frame.

My present situation is that I've created another account and the software loaded into it without fatal errors but certain elements are missing in both accounts, so there is someway to go yet.

I was advised about the USB lead ploy from another forum and will certainly keep that in reserve, but I want to see if HP can solve this themselves, [OK, I can always print from my other PC so am in a privileged position to play around, bit I find it very time consuming}

Any way to summarise from my experience, I don't think I would lay the blame entirely at HP's feet and blame their hardware as I have seen both sides of the situation but there is something lacking in their software.

Cheers Terry

Student
capj479
Message 7 of 14 (10,966 Views)

aftter checking my computer for windows 7 update, spending 109.00 for the software, my less than a year old printer a hp 4480 will not scan anymore, i happen to like this printer, there was no mention about  me having a problem with my printer, if i had known this i would not have purchased the garbage update, my laptop is also less than a year old and with constant problems,like error messages and updates i contacted hp support and was not helpful,its update after update after update, this isn't heping you much exept you are not alone, i want to throw this laptop out the window

Honor Student
Ronny
Message 8 of 14 (10,924 Views)

Re: Fatal Error while installing HP Deskjet F4400. Please Help! <now w/ 4680>

I have a very similar problem.

I installed officejet4680 on 1st computer - no issue. Works well.

I tried to install it on 2nd computer and the install does not finish. tried several time, in last attempts It stops at 96% and hangs there.

On 2nd computer I had J5783  before w/ all the SW.

Installation failed several times, tried what the support say - remove SW, remove TSRs, clean disks, nothing - still stuck at 96%. Now I cannot also remove the SW w/ add/remove SW...

Despite failure at 96% - most functionality is there:

Can print, can send fax, but the solutioncenter SW cannot work w/ the scanner. I can work w/ the scanner w/ the window device and even w/ hpiscnapp.exe (under C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin) but I need this machine to scan document to PDF - and that the naked hpiscnapp.exe cannot do.

I take it the product is OK (given 1st computer work) but the installation has flaws.

Any idea how I can clean the computer formall previuos HP stuff to start clean. Registry? Etc?
The error is error code 01679532 and there are more info...

It is really frustrating. I spent hours on that...

- Ronny

Top Student
oldlady60
Message 9 of 14 (10,905 Views)

I had problem as most above only --  first did not recognize USB --brand new USB cable purchased from HP with F4480 printer. Then after repeated tried installations and windows installer constantly wanting to install something, HP tech said I needed a new printer as F4480 was no good--Ordered new printer, also ordered another cable with it just because. Installed new printer with NEW cable and it recognized the USB BUT--now it kept wanting to install from the disc over and over. Was on dialup and could not download the program and techs could not fix from the outside----so----got DSL finally--downloaded from site the whole program--still the same thing. Installed and uninstalled 50 times--talked with tech support, emailed tech support,  looked at forums here and everywhere about windows installer etc. ---Nothing helped. I have 3 cd's for the same thing plus one downloaded and a driver downloaded as the tech's seemed to think I needed more!

FINALLY I decided just to download the driver only and guess what it works FINE!!!!! No one suggested just to do that and not download all the other programs that come with the full program cd. I kept the F4480 and returned the (new) printer.

Anyway, I have having fun with the printer now and I guess you just have to figure it out yourself.

Try just loading in the driver especially if you already have HP digital monitor it conflicts with each the program from the disk.

Honor Student
Ronny
Message 10 of 14 (10,881 Views)

to oldlady60 ---

Once doing that, can you run scanner (solution center) w/ all the scanning features?

Now everything works - except this...  I can run hpiscnapp.exe (under C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin) - but then I can only scan to picture file, etc....

- Ronny

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation