Question

Student
BuckyBadger
Message 1 of 22 (9,446 Views)

HELP ! My officejet 7310 prints but won't scan to windows 7 64 bit

Just bought a new HP windows 7 64 bit computer.  Downloaded the Officejet 7310 driver from the HP site online.  Printer works fine but when I go to scan a document to Microsoft Word (or anywhere else) I get a message "You need to install or run HP software for this feature" .  I'm not very computer literate but I do want to be able to scan like I used to.  Is there a simple fix ?   I thought maybe I'd download the driver again but don't wnt to screw thigs up.  HELP !   Thanks,  Bucky Badger
Grad Student
tinuwangiro
Message 2 of 22 (9,431 Views)

Re: HELP ! My officejet 7310 prints but won't scan to windows 7 64 bit

were you able to observe any errors during installation?
(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
Honor Student
DeDub
Message 3 of 22 (9,172 Views)

I can't answer the question but according to what I read in different forums about this there's quite a few HP owners that struggle with similar problems.  I'm chiming in here because I have the exact same problem.  I've only occasionally been able to use my HP Officejet 7310's scan feature - occasionally under XP and never since I sent to Win7 64bit several months ago. I've reinstalled the most recent full software for my 7310 numerous times, trying different configurations of firewall/no firewall, uninstalling any other programs that have a chance of interfering with the HP install, always the same. 

The HP install goes smoothly until near the end where it can't seem to find the printer and the only option is to continue without finding it and looking for it later.  I can 'add a printer' later and that part works - printing is working fine - but there's no scan capability.  From non-HP programs I get the msg that the scanner can't be found.  HP Digital Imaging Monitor starts to open but partway through gives me a msg that the installation isn't complete and to rerun the installation software.  But when I do the same thing happens.

I can access the HP printer package through control panel/devices and printers/hp 7310 which brings up the dark HP screen where I can access printer actions, solutions center, etc. but I still have no scan and I need (and paid for) it.

So I'm joining this thread hoping that some HP savant has an answer.

Win7 Pro 64 bit

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3GHz

8 GB ram

Broadband to a LAN with a Linksys WRT54GL

and just FYI, it didn't even work when I reinstalled the HP software with a direct cable hookup rather than thru the LAN so it's no the LAN.

Intern
luddy
Message 4 of 22 (9,167 Views)

[ Edited ]

Join the club.  MY AIO J6480 wont scan either in Win7 x64 or x86.  Worked fine on both machines with Vista and still continues to work fine on another Vista and XP machines.  HP Support has been just down right terrible.  They tell you they will get back to you and you never hear anything and chat or phone based support is just a pure waste of time.  They don't know what is wrong or how to fix it even when provided with diagnostic details and specifics of error codes, etc.  It's amazing how a company can get away with this.  Maybe a call to the BBB is in order soon.

EDIT:  Printing works just fine.

Top Student
tdeangelis
Message 5 of 22 (8,317 Views)

I have the 7310 win 7 home 64 bit on a wireless network  and I can print without a problem.  Here is the issue I can scan one page from the glass, but when I go to "add a page" I get a error message.  I find myself scanning say 4 pages as four separate PDF files instead of  4 pages to one file name.  Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Tom

Student
DuncanKent
Message 6 of 22 (6,609 Views)

Me too!!! Officejet 7310 All-in-one (apparently), used to work fine on my old PC (XP), now, with new computer (not that new, about a year old) with Windows 7, 64 bit, no joy with scanning. So, is the 7310 really an all-in-one? It seems not!

Message says:

No scan options

You need to run HP software for this feature

Press OK to continue.

So I've tried shouting at it "I AM RUNNING HP SOFTWARE" at it, but it doesn't listen. Very annoying, I NEED a scanner!!!

Maybe Canon do one.

Honor Student
mc83
Message 7 of 22 (6,424 Views)

My HP7310 all-in-one is an all-in-none. It will print but when I try to scan in Windows 7 32 bit it tells me that the printer is in use by someone else. The printer is installed as a usb device and I am the only user on the computer. As with the others it has worked fine until I installed Windows 7. By the looks at the messages I am probable wasting my time by putting this message here. I see complaints but no answers. What does it take to get HP to do something about this driver problem? I have 3 printers that are basically boat anchors because nothing is ever really done about the problems.

HP get off your fat duff and do something. I will no longer buy any HP products. They stink.

Honor Student
BillinSR
Message 8 of 22 (5,888 Views)

I have thge same problem.

Print but no scan.

Student
jdlyles
Message 9 of 22 (5,373 Views)

Okay Folks. . . . I see many people with the same problem with their 7310 scanning BUT I don't see any solutions.  Does HP actually ever look on this message board???

Student
northdevonlad
Message 10 of 22 (5,291 Views)

I'm an IT tech and speak with many clients wanting printer/scanner info.

I'm running WinUlt 64 and I'm still having the same HP issues of my scanner not running.  This is after HP uninstall/reinstall on various occasions and even a fresh O/S install.

It seems they just don't give a **bleep**!

Am looking at alternative companies All-in-ones so HP - you'll not be getting any more £££ from me, or anyone else I speak to who require scanning/printing facilities.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation