Question

Top Student
haxin
Message 1 of 3 (922 Views)

HP 1020 / Q5911A On Windows 8 (64-bit)

[ Edited ]

Issue

As the subject suggests I've got an HP 1020 / Q5911A that I'm trying to get working on a Windows 8 machine.  My 'server' dual boots Windows 7 and Windows 8.  The printer's been working fine in Windows 7 on the server, but only works on & off in Windows 8, suggesting it might be a Windows 8 problem.  I plug the printer into another Windows 7 machine and again it works fine.  So the printer seems to be ok.  On my 'server', Windows 8 detects the printer when conneted, I've installed the latest drivers (downloaded fresh from HP), but when a print job is sent nothing printings, jobs aren't going anywhere, no errors in the queue and no flashing lights on the printer.  I powercycle the printer and the server, no change.  Once more, if I connect it to a Windows 7 machine and install the same set of drivers, all is well.  So since the printer works in Windows 7 (on the same or different hardware), I have to assume the problem is Windows 8 or the configuraiton of the printer in Windows 8.  Since this is my only Windows 8 machine, there's no way to further validate Windows 8 that making it difficult to troubleshoot.  SO, what gives?!

Some Background

It would appear that some HP LaserJets (like the 1005, 1018, 1020, 1022 - and maybe others) need to have some sort of 'firmware' sent from the PC.  In my humble opinion based solely on previous observations, if the printer is on and you plug it into a machine, the printer spins up as though it were going to print something.  At that moment, it seems, the firmware was successfully pushed to the printer, and the printer is now ready to go.  And until that firmware push happens, the printer won't work.  A perfect example is trying to use my printer when directly connceted to my router or NAS.  It doesn't work, until the firmware push happens.  (See this thread as I have a NAS of that brand.)

Symptoms

My Windows 8 machine detects the printer, but nothing prints and the troubleshooting wizards say the printer is 'offline'.  Yet in Devices & Printers, the printer is not dim or grayed out, nor is it in an offline state.  It seems as though the 'firmware' is getting pushed to the printer.  I tried using the latest set of drivers found here (HP LaserJet 1020 Printer Drivers & Downloads), tried using the Universal Drivers for Windows Server 2008 (usually reseved for Terminal Services/Citrix) and even went as far as getting dirvers for Windows Server 2003 with no change in behavior.

I also tried using the HP Print and Scan Doctor (HPPSdr), HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows (hppiw) and HP Hardware Diagnostic Utilities (HPHDU) but some didn't detect the printer, and the ones that did were not able to help - just told me to download drivers.  And the Windows 8 troubleshooting wizard/assistant wasn't of any help either, other than telling me the printer was 'offline'.

Troubleshooting

Started with the basics:

• power cyling the printer: turning it off, yanking the power & USB cable, turning it back on in an attempt to further discharge it, letting it sit for 30seconds to 120minutes before reconnecting
  • rebooting the server
  • trying different USB ports (front & rear)
  • trying different USB cables
  • checking for recent driver updates
  • no obvous or seemingly benign errors in the Event Log
  • OS restore didn't help

After scouring for a while, it was suggested that one remove everything - files & directories - in these locations:

• C:\windows\system32\spool\printers\
  • C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\
  • C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\W32X86\

So after...

1. removing the printer
  2. uninstalling the HP software packages (if any)
  3. removing the HP driver files in C:\Program Files
  4. removing the drivers via `printui /s /t2`
  5. stopping the spooler service

...I deleted whatever was in those directories.

I decided to hunt around a little more & ended up removing several other, what appeared to be, HP specific files before restarting the spooler:

• C:\Windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\x64: 1_PPhp1020.DLL 2_PPhp1020.DLL hpcpp150.dll PPhp1020.DLL
  • C:\Windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\W32X86\: PPhp1020.DLL

Still, after a fresh download of HP drivers (version 20120918 dated 2013-01-09) the printer continued to not work.  Connecting it to a Windows 7 machine worked fine.

Fauxlution (faux + solution - but it works!)

After spending a few days on this, I remembered the Microsoft Update Catalog and decided to take a peek.  Pleasantly surprised I found a 'Hewlett-Packard - Printers - HP LaserJet 1020' package version 2012.918.1.57980 available for both x64 and x86 flavors of a variety of OS' (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista).  So after purging the previous set of drivers, I extracted the CAB, pointed Windows to that INF and low-and-behold, it worked straight away.

So what now?

The printer worked in Windows 8 only periodically since I installed Windows 8, and its been down for probably 2-3 months now.  Its [now] working today, but what about tomorrow?

Because the issue is likely 'me' and or my machine or some combination of the two, I'm very curious to know could have caused it to just stop working 'seemingly' overnight.

And I'm very interested in knowing

• What I could do differently should this happen again?
  • Why didn't the HP drivers work, while the Microsoft ones did?

Any advice, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 3 (899 Views)

Re: HP 1020 / Q5911A On Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi, this link should provide you with info on host based printers from HP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
haxin
Message 3 of 3 (893 Views)

Re: HP 1020 / Q5911A On Windows 8 (64-bit)

So that's what its called!  Thanks for sharing the link - really good to know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation