Question

Student
TomRope
Message 1 of 4 (1,909 Views)

HP 4500 Print Wirelessly Without Router

I just purchased an HP Pavillion dm4 notebook and an HP Officejet 4500 Wireless printer.

My Question is: Can you print wirelessly from the notebook to the printer directly, without going through a router?

The two will be set up in a small office that doesn't have any network connections, so no need for a router.

Tom

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 4 (1,892 Views)

Re: HP 4500 Print Wirelessly Without Router

It is possible, but you're better of connecting the printer by the USB cable. It's just more convenient to maintain a USB connection than a PC-to-printer wireless connection. If you still want to connect it wirelessly, let me know.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
berlin88
Message 3 of 4 (1,768 Views)

Hello,

I do not use a wireless router for my internet connection.  I am using a usb key (sim card) mobile connection.   Please explain how I can setup a wireless connection with my HP 4500 wireless printer?  I cannot use a cable connection.

My computer is an Apple Macbook Air.

Thank you.

Honor Student
bgenung
Message 4 of 4 (1,447 Views)

I am trying to do the same with a 6500 on a small group of XP desktops.  We have no wireless router, the PC's have wireless adapters, the PC's are hardwired for their internet access.

I am looking to do a peer-to-peer connection of the 6500 Officejet using the wireless connection on the printer and the wireless adapters on the PC's.  I am only looking to connect 3 PC's to this printer for very light use.  When I try to install the software for the 6500 using a wireless connection type it does not discover the printer.  I have the wireless on, and a manual IP address installed on the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation