Question

Student
Joann-2
Message 1 of 5 (540 Views)

HP 7410 All-in-one with Scanner driver error. Can't find option to install scanner driver from CD?

My HP 7410 was working fine on my home network but I had a print spooler error all of a sudden and could not print anything, I could scan from windows applications but nothing would print..  I rebooted, Which didn't help the print spooler problem so I deleted everything in print spooler, then deleted the Print driver and (CD was no where to be found) so I downloaded 7400 software and drivers from HP website.  Tried to install and it locked up while deleting HP software in initial steps.  I rebooted, found CD and installed the HP 7400 driver.  Prints fine now but will not scan.  Message "The necessary software program is missing or corrupt.  Reinstall the software.  Scanner Driver error".  Can't find option for the Scanner driver on CD.  What now? .

Thanks!

Top Student
bobsc
Message 2 of 5 (215 Views)

Re: HP 7410 All-in-one with Scanner driver error. Can't find option to install scanner driver from C

Sorry to say but I finally gave up on trying to get the scan function to work on my 7410.  HP was no help because they told me they no longer supported the 7410.  I went through all kinds of gyrations trying to get the scan function to work on both a Vista machine and a Windows 7 machine.  I uninstalled all of the HP software on both machines, downloaded the latest and greatest software for the 7410 from the HP website and it appeared that the install was completed correctly.

When I open the software for the Manager, it tells me that there are no HP devices on my network.  It goes through the motions of looking for the printer but comes back with the big red X that says the install of the device was not successful.  If I try to do the scan from the panel on the 7410, it tells me I need to finish installing software.

The print, copy, and fax functions work just fine but the scanner functionality simply fell off the face of the earth.  I was very disappointed with HP lack of responsiveness.  Their solution was basically for me to buy a new all-in-one.  On the positive side, the prices of the all-in-ones have come down substantially since the time I bought the 7410 in June of '06.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 3 of 5 (208 Views)

Re: HP 7410 All-in-one with Scanner driver error. Can't find option to install scanner driver from CD?

If you are installing from the CD that is likely the heart of your issues. The CD in addition to being able to be damaged is also outdated. I will direct you to the most current software and drivers for the printer below, but first a few additional steps. 

Start by going through Programs and Features, Devices and Printers and the Device Manager and make sure that the printer software is completely removed, uninstalled or deleted. 

Then in the start menu, click RUN and type "%temp%" and press ENTER. In the folder that opens up I want you to delete all the files and folders present that will allow you to delete them (some will not allow you to, and that is alright).

After doing all that and restarting your PC follow the link below and install the Full-Feature software and drivers available through the HP download:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=391194

Try that and let me know if you run into any issues or if this restores your ability to scan. If not I will do whatever is in my power to get the printer up and running again to the best of my abilities. 

Have a great day! 

Top Student
bobsc
Message 4 of 5 (200 Views)

Re: HP 7410 All-in-one with Scanner driver error. Can't find option to install scanner driver from C

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out and resolve my issue.  I can't tell you how many hours I wasted trying to get the 7410 to scan again.  I did all of the things you suggested on both my laptop running Vista and on my wife's laptop, running Windows 7.  Unfortunately, the same result was achieved.

I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of different times and did get the most up-to-date software from the HP website.  In the end, their advice was for me to purchase a different all-in-one because their support for the 7410 ceased and it was no longer supported.  That was too bad since I was completely satisfied with the 7410 but did want to use the scanner for those few times during the year I wanted to scan something.

Prices have come down since I purchased the 7410 in 2006 and with some coupons from Staples, I was able to get a new all-in-one for around $120.  This latest all-in-one has an e-print capability so I got an additional useful feature even if I did not get a second print tray.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 5 of 5 (193 Views)

Re: HP 7410 All-in-one with Scanner driver error. Can't find option to install scanner driver from CD?

[ Edited ]

I am sorry for the inconveniences you have had, but I hope that your new printer serves you as well if not better than the unit it is replacing. 

I hope you have a wonderful day, and if you ever have any questions - I'll be around to help you out!
:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation