HP COLOR PRINT CARTRIDGE WON'T WORK ON HP PHOTOSMART C4200 ALL IN ONE PRINTER. (498 Views)
Top Student
Joannejg
Message 1 of 13 (498 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP COLOR PRINT CARTRIDGE WON'T WORK ON HP PHOTOSMART C4200 ALL IN ONE PRINTER.

ALIGNMENT FAILED.  I TRIED TO CLEAN THE PRINT ? AND I GOT TO LEVEL 3 AND IT SAID THERE WAS A PROBLEM.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 13 (487 Views)

Re: HP COLOR PRINT CARTRIDGE WON'T WORK ON HP PHOTOSMART C4200 ALL IN ONE PRINTER.

Hi Joannejg,

Can you give me the full name of your printer?  Can you also give me the Model #  and / or Product # for the printer?

Can you give me the exact error message?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
Joannejg
Message 3 of 13 (478 Views)

Re: HP COLOR PRINT CARTRIDGE WON'T WORK ON HP PHOTOSMART C4200 ALL IN ONE PRINTER.

The name of my printer is HP Photosmart C4280 All-in-one printer, scanner, copier.  First I printer an alignment page and it  is all in black and white when I believe it should have some colors in it.  Second it asks me to put the alignment page on the scanner to scan it and it says that process failed.  I tried to clean the ink headers in the utility and it got to step 3 and in the 3rd step it said there was a problem.  I hope this is specific enough.  I REALLY appreciate your help.  joannejg

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 13 (471 Views)

I am happy to try and help.  :smileyhappy:

Do you get any error messages when you try to print with color, or does the page just come out without color?

What are the estimated ink levels for each cartridge according to the printer?

What is the operating system for your computer?

Try doing a Hard Reset as described in the following link.  Click Here  Is there any change?

Take a look at the next link.  Click Here  I recommend doing Step 5 first and then follow the other steps.  Have you noticed any changes?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
Joannejg
Message 5 of 13 (458 Views)

Hi again.  Continued appreciation for your help.  In answer to your questions:

When I print out an alignment page, it prints in black only.  Then the printer display tells me to put the page on the scanner to scan it and I get the error message "alignment page not detected."

The ink levels of both black and color cartridges are 3/4+ full according to the printer.

When I try to print out a test page using the word "test" in black and "test" again in red, only the word prints out in black.

My operating system is MAC OSX.

I try to click on software update and it says there is one to install but nothing is listed to install.

When I click on HP all-in-one device chooser it says it cannot be opened with this version of MAC OSX... but the printer worked until recently so i don't get that.

I tried the hard reset and nothing changed.

I will try doing the cleaning now.

Joanne

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 13 (454 Views)

Sounds good.  I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
Joannejg
Message 7 of 13 (446 Views)

Hi Again.  I tried cleaning the cartridges/cartridge area as you suggested and that did not help anything.  Any other ideas?

Thank you as always, 

Joanne

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 8 of 13 (444 Views)

There are two more options that might work.  Try a different color cartridge.  If that didn't work, you could try a semi full reset.

If successful, this would reset the printer to factory defaults and clear the memory.  If the printer was on a wireless network, it would be taken off and would need to be reconnected.  If you want to give this a try, I can send the steps to you in a private message to your HP Forums in-box.  I would need you to agree not to publish the steps.  Let me know what you decide.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
Joannejg
Message 9 of 13 (443 Views)

[ Edited ]

What do you mean by a different color cartridge?  I thought there was only black and then the one I am using.

Secondly of course I would promise not to publish the directions.  I really just want to selfishly get my own printer to start working.  As far as the wireless printing, I'd have my computer geek friend come over and do whatever needs to be done in that respect if necessary.  My personal email address if that is more comfortable is {Private Information Removed}.

Thank you.

Joanne

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 10 of 13 (436 Views)

I have sent the instructions to your HP Forums in-box.

What I meant by "different color cartridge" is that there is a chance that the problem is being caused by a bad color cartridge.  A different cartridge would solve the issue if that were the case.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation