HP Deskjet 6940 Defaults to offline (2708 Views)
Honor Student
izzdoc
Message 1 of 3 (2,708 Views)

HP Deskjet 6940 Defaults to offline

I have an HP DeskJet 6940 which worked fine on my Windows XP system. I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7 (64 bit) and installed the printer using the Windows driver (HP has not updated the driver for Windows 7).  Everytime I turn on the computer, the printer is offline.  I can put in back online, but it will be offline next time I turn on the system.  Is there a way to fix this?  There was a multi-step suggested fix on the HP website which hasn't helped. 

Student
turokcito
Message 2 of 3 (2,561 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 6940 Defaults to offline

Hi there! I just had the same problem and I found a solution after unsuccesfully looking on the internet. What I did, I just removed the device and add it again. I tried all the bull**bleep** I found the internet, but I foun this more efficient (the only efficient way). Go to Control Panel/ View devices and printers (under Hardware and sound), right click on the "HP Deskjekt 6940 series" printer and select the option "remove device". Once removed, in the same window chose "Add a printer" at the left top of the window. It will again install the printer. It's gonna tell you that there is already a driver for that device and it's gonna ask you if you wanna use that or if you wanna replace it. Chose replace it and hit OK.

Done! you can now print from your laptop.

I hope you found this helpful.

Student
afrjm
Message 3 of 3 (2,043 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 6940 Defaults to offline

I also had this problem -- the printer went  offline and staying there with stuff backing up unprinted in the queue,   What showed on the printer was the green power light on and steady and one of the ink indicators (the right one associated with the black cartridge) blinking.  After much wasted time on the internet, I put a new black cartridge in and it solved the problem.

I think my problem was related to the use of a refilled cartridge from Cartridge World.  The cartridge worked fine when I installed it, but after shutting the computer down and restarting it the next day, the Offline problem appeared.  I don't know if there was something wrong with the cartridge or if HP has found a way to punish people who use refilled cartridges, but replacing it with a genuine HP cartridge solved the problem.

In the process of searching for a solution, I found the website below that seems to collect together quite a number of possible solutions for this problem.  Unfortunately none of them worked for me, but maybe one of them would help someone else:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02205477&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Bob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation