Question

Top Student
DonJacob
Message 1 of 8 (11,371 Views)

HP Digital Imaging Monitor Problem

I have a HP D7460 printer which works just fine on a computer running Vista Home Premium.........just installed it on a computer running Vista Ultimate & the Digital Imaging monitor does not work right. The printer works perfectly, but the digital imaging monitor says printer not connected. If I select settings at the bottom of the screen, then other settings, then network settings, the printer shows up as ready & the ink levels are displayed. I am running the printer as a wired connection to my wireless router. Does anyone have any ideas?????

Thanks,

Don Jacob

Intern
Tart_010107
Message 2 of 8 (11,338 Views)

Re: HP Digital Imaging Monitor Problem

try this..

--run the installation disc

--add a printer

follow the screen instructions..

by the way are you able to print?

Top Student
DonJacob
Message 3 of 8 (11,308 Views)

Yes, the printer works fine. The software detects it during installation, it's just that the digital imaging monitor says it is disconnected. The control panel also says that the printer is installed. Have done an uninstall/install a couple of times........should I try it again??? Like I say, the printer WORKS just fine, it appears to be a software problem. The software worked just fine with Vista Home Premium.
Intern
rasengan-bankai
Message 4 of 8 (11,264 Views)

that usually happens for a network connected printer. the usual cause for that is the firewall software installed. there are some ports that you need to configure in your firewall settings to be allowed to pass through it.

Windows Firewall

Norton Internet Security

McAfee

Trend Micro

Zone Alarm

Also, make sure under services, your HP services are set to automatic and it is started (running) ... how to do that?

1. Click on Start

2. type inside the "start search" box right above the start button - services.msc and press enter

3. it will open to a windows with a list on the right hand side

4. look for HP services and make sure that it says automatic and is started

5. also look for PML Driver hpz12 or service and make sure that it is started

• If the status is not listed as Started , double-click Pml Driver HPZ12 . The Pml Driver HPZ12 Properties window opens. Under Service Status , click Start , and then click OK
  •  

try this out and let me know if this helps. Although, basing on what you said, this shouldn't present any problems at all except for the "annoying" disconnected status. I won't suggest that you do another uninstall / reinstall since there might be a possibility that in the long run, there might be invalid entries made in the windows registry if you do so.

Cool Thoughts
    AMD Phenom
    4GB Memory
    Top Student
    DonJacob
    Message 5 of 8 (11,228 Views)

Hello:

Just as a quick test, I turned off the Windows firewall...........the DIM worked fine!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like I need to do the procedure for the Windows firewall; since this appears to be more than a 5 min. procedure, I will need some more time..........will let you no when I have done it.

Thanks,

Don Jacob

Top Student
    DonJacob
    Message 6 of 8 (11,144 Views)

Hello:

Thanks for your help on this.............followed all of your suggestions, but nothing changed. Have been in touch with HP & they say that this is normal because bi-directional communication with the printer only works with a USB cable connection. I ran into this once before with a different computer & printer, so I have to believe it's true. My only question is why did the DIM work properly with a wireless connection & Vista Home Premium, but not now that I have upgraded to Vista Ultimate??????????

Regards,

Don Jacob

Intern
    rasengan-bankai
    Message 7 of 8 (11,007 Views)

You mentioned that you upgraded to Ultimate, does that mean that you upgraded the same Home Edition you were working on to Ultimate?

Whatever the case may be, I am assuming that Vista Ultimate has stricter software security than Home Edition. That might be the cause of the problem there.

try this out:

1. go to services.msc (click on start and type services.msc in start search)

2. on the right hand pane on the window that will open up, look for HP Network Device Discovery or HP CUE Device Discovery

3. right click on those and click on stop and try to see if that resolved the issue.

if number 3 resolved it, go back to services and right click on the service and go to properties. change the status from automatic to disabled and restart the computer.

Otherwise, if you have other firewall software outside Windows Firewall, then follow the links for your firewall software I gave on an earlier post.

Hope this helps. Let me know if this resolved the issue. ciao

Cool Thoughts
    AMD Phenom
    4GB Memory
    Top Student
    DonJacob
    Message 8 of 8 (10,743 Views)

Followed all your suggestions.........NOTHING CHANGED!!! I do agree with you that the problem lies with the firewall.......I know a Microsoft certified expert, will have him take a look at it.

Thanks,

Don Jacob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation