Question

Student
Budgie
Message 1 of 3 (3,527 Views)

HP Director cannot access 2840

2840 is hardwired to lan.  I can print fine but when I try and use the HP Director Utilities I get an error message that the browser Failed to Connect.

I am trying to set up the scanner and getting nowhere fast either with Twain software or the control panel button on the machine.

I thought I would be able to set things up using HP Director but no luck.

The browser is showing it is trying to access the following address:-

http://127.0.0.1:5225/Toolbox4.0/controller/deviceMultiLineStatusDevice/192.168.169.176/DeviceContent.jsp?device=192.168.169.176&cat=0&pos=0&menu=0.

I read this as trying to access an address on the machine I am using since 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address however I am not a network expert.  I have opened up the port 5225 in the firewall for udp traffic on the relevant subnet but no luck.

I get the same message when trying to use the "how do I?" and access the network settings page in the Director.  

So no multifunction here.  Please could somebody help.

Student
EERY
Message 2 of 3 (3,483 Views)

Re: HP Director cannot access 2840

Hi,

Assuming that your computer is running on windows XP, download the update from the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-46104-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=90764

Note: Make sure the complete software is installed by which I mean, during the installation you haven't encountered any error msg.

Top Student
woo98
Message 3 of 3 (3,348 Views)

Re: HP Director cannot access 2840

This might help. Check the hosts file in C/windows/system32/drivers/etc......there you will locate the hosts file; open the hosts file with notepad and check for the 2840 ( you can tell what it is by the name NPsomething) you can get this off the printer by printing a configuration report...menu/reports/config report

make sure the ip in the hosts file matches  the printers ip.....if it does not, edit the hosts file; however when you save it make sure you do not 'save as' just save it using 'save' open it up again and check to make sure the change was made

also when you open your browser see if you can access the toolbox via IP addrees; simply type the ip addreess of your printer into the addreess bar

you can also try to reintialize toolbox; this is how you do it: Start/run/browse.....browse to c/program files/ hewlett-packard/toolbox.....once you are here you will see a file that is something like hppt ( i forget the rest but you will know it when you see it) (there are two similar files one has a 26 at the end it is the one without the 26) now once you locate the file single left click on it so it is highlighted in blue and the click on open in the bottom right hand corner.....this will bring you back to the run box with the entire file string now in the run box. Bring your cursor to the end of the quotation marks once the cursor is there do this exactly: hit the space bar and then put a dash and type stopall it sould look something like this in the run box:\

'c/program files/hewlett-packard/toolbox/httpsomething' -stopall     (then hit ok)

reopen the run box (the file string will still be there) now keep everthing the same and replace the word stopall with the word restart; you will get a message that says "hp and status client have been terminated all persistent data has been deleted please wait while toolbox reintializes" 

this should fix it.

if it doen't you will need to do a full uninstall of the software including deleteting twain drivers and registry keys

Just so you know this hp software is garbage and that's why it works so poorly; good-luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation