HP ENVY 4500, Installation Problem, carriage jam (2125 Views)
Student
printer1758
Message 1 of 6 (2,125 Views)

HP ENVY 4500, Installation Problem, carriage jam

I have bought a brand new printer. I have followed the instructions how to install the printer. Now I keep getting message coming up on the printer's screen telling me I have a carriage jam. I have never printed from the printer, there is no paper jam, the cartridges are fully in place and the cartridge holders (the peices which flip down to hold the cartridges) are secure. First the printer was telling me that I needed to remove all the packaging from within the printer, I have doubled checked everything that there is no more packaging in the printer. Now I get told that there is a carriage jam, and to remove an paper jams or obstructions. As far as I have found from opening and shutting the printer, checking for anything which could catch the cartridge holder, and dismissing the message, the printer still just makes these two clunking noises, literally; clunk clunk, every time, then gives me the message again about the carriage jam.  

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 2 of 6 (2,087 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 4500, Installation Problem, carriage jam

Hello,

I would suggest following this document, which will guide you through the correct steps on how to resolve this issue.

Also, remember if you find this post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
Student
jobart1
Message 3 of 6 (1,832 Views)

Very very very frustrated this morning.  Have watched all the you tube HP videos on unpacking - have followed all the steps you suggested and still cannot set up this printer as I have carriage jam - all packaging is removed - I checked and watched the step by step hp video on unpacking - frustrated as I needed before 8 this a.m.  Back to the store I go.  

Distinguished Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 6 (1,812 Views)

Hi jobart

Sorry to hear about the carraige jam on your new printer. Can you let us know if you get a replacement at the store?

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Student
credwood
Message 5 of 6 (439 Views)

I am having the same problem. It's brand new, never been used. The carriage is stuck on the right and won't move an inch. I did notice on the roller by the carriage it has a part that sticks up and blocks it but I can't figure out how to move it, without breaking it, of course. Can someone please help me!

Student
ciderboy2
Message 6 of 6 (424 Views)

I have the same problem. Brand new printer. Fully unpacked as per instructions and online tutorial. Cannot insert ink cartridges as getting message "Carriage jam - Remove all packaging....".

Carriage 'locked' into right hand position, so can't insert ink. Nothing visible at all out of place in printer.

Any clues or do I have to write this one off and send it back to the retailer?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation