HP Laser Professional P1102w on Windows XP Y Wirelessly to MacBook (2138 Views)
Tutor
Fernando_Cali
Message 1 of 21 (2,138 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Laser Professional P1102w on Windows XP Y Wirelessly to MacBook

Yesterday (May 28, 2012) I purchased a HP Laser Professional P1102w B&W printer for home use and successfully installed it on to my Windows XP desktop from which I will always print using the USB cable.

I proceded trying to install the printer onto my MacBook (OS X 10.6.8) for wireless printing (yes, I have WiFi here). The "Getting Started Guide" (see Step 8 of the guide) indicates to plug the printer to the laptop using the USB cable — I did that, and used the supplied installation CD. The installation went through - no problem. The issue is that the printer won't work unless I move the USB cable from the Win PC to the Mac, which defeats the purpose of my purchase.

I printed a "Self Test/Device Configuration" by depressing the "X" button on the printer. No IPs appear on the sheet. I'm not very good at these Hardware/Software issues.

• What are the correct step-by-step measures I should take in order to achieve my goal?
  • Should I uninstall the USB setup for the printer from my MacBook? (If so, what is the proper way to totally clean that out?) — Note: I have another printer connected that works fine (HP Photosmart C5180) and wouldn't like to damage or alter THAT installation.
  • Why aren't there any IP addresses on the Device Config. sheet? Do I have also to uninstall and re-install the printer on the Windows desktop?

To say the least, I'm quite frustrated and have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out, to no avail.

Your help and input will be greatly appreciated.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 21 (2,133 Views)

Re: HP Laser Professional P1102w on Windows XP Y Wirelessly to MacBook

Hi,

Once the software been installed on your Macintosh computer using USB, you should configure the Wireless connection through the EWS page.

Please follow the steps below to connect the printer to your wireless network:

1. In Finder , click Applications , and then double-click System Preferences .
  2. Click Print & Fax (in Mac OS X v10.6) .
  3. Click Open Print Queue , and then click Printer Setup .
  4. Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility .
  5. Click HTMLConfig .
  6. Click the Networking tab, and then click Wireless from the list on the left.
  7. Under Communication Mode , click Infrastructure , select your network SSID from the Available Network Names (SSID) list, and then click the << button.
  8. From the Security Mode pop-up menu under Authentication , click WEP or WPA/WPA2 . Your selection depends on which Wireless Security Protocol your network uses.
    NOTE:If your network does not have Wireless Security, leave the Security Mode set to Open System (No Authentication) .

9. Type your WEP/WPA/WPA2 key in the appropriate field, and then click Apply .
  10. In the confirmation box, click OK , and then close the HTML Config and Print Queue windows.
  11. In the Print & Fax or Print & Scan window, click your HP product from the list of printers, and then click the Minus sign to remove it from the list.
    NOTE:This action removes the USB Connection from the list so that the only entry for your HP product is the Wireless Connection.

12. Disconnect the USB cable from the product and the computer.
  13. Under Printers , click the Plus sign ( ).
  14. Select your product name with Bonjour as the Kind , and then click Add .
  15. Close the Print & Fax or Print & Scan window.

Please let me know of any problem,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
Fernando_Cali
Message 3 of 21 (2,129 Views)

Thanks for the prompt reply, ShlomiL the "Distinguished Professor"!

I haven't got to effecting your suggested process due to the fact that between the time I wrote to the forum and got your reply, I deleted the printer prom the Mac.

When I got your note I attempted to reinstall it but have been unsuccessful; here's what's happenig:

• I connect the printer via the USB cable to the Mac
  • Insert the CD and start the installation pakage
  • When almost finished the window "HP Firmware Upgrade Utility" comes up
  • At a certain point the software asks me to "Select Device" were I pick the USB option
  • A blank list of devices appears, with no "browse" option. Hence I kill the Firmware upgrade Utility window.
  • I Complete the install by selecting "Finish" from the Install screen.
  • A final prompt reading "The installation was successful" and "The software was installed" comes up.
  • I close the installation screen and try printing on the "new" printer, but the P1102w is not found.
  • Indeed I go explore the printers folder, and it's not there.

So... Before proceeding with your instructions, I must solve the inexistance of the printer. —> How do I emove all traces of the install process?

Now, upon reading your text, and prior to delving in the process, some items baffle me:

Your item 7: Will there invariably be a SSID under the Available Network Names? I have no idea what that means...

Your item 9: What is my WEP/WPA/WPA2 key? Where can I find that?

With much respect, and appreciating your patience, I await your kind reply.

Fernando Medina

P.S. For whatever it's worth, I'm not residing in the US but in Colombia, South America, in a remote location where getting help "in person" is close to impossible.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 4 of 21 (2,124 Views)

Hi Fernando,

You are gladly welcome.

First I will clarify the used terms:

Item 7 - SSID refer to the wireless network name broadcasted by your router. The same name you select while connecting the Macbook Pro to your wireless router.

Item 9 - WEP/WPA/WPA2 is the security password you configured for your wireless network. The type could be either Open if your network is open and have no password protection, if you have a password, you may find what type it is as following:

1. Click the Apple icon, then click System Preferences.
  2. Click Network.
  3. From the left pane, click Airport.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Under Preffered Network, you will find your wireless network name listed. The security type will be listed
  6. After getting the network information, Click Cancel. Now click Show All at the top

Click the Print & Scan icon, than click the Plus button to add the printer.

Regardless the software installation, the printer should be listed as USB kind.

If the printer is listed, select it and click Add, than follow the steps above (Starting from step 3)

If the printer is not listed on this screen, there is some communication problem regardless the printer software. The printer should be listed even if there is no software installed...

If the printer does not appear, please verify the following:

• The printer is turned On.
  • The printer seems Ready with no blinking lights, etc.
  • The USB cable is not longer than 2-3m length
  • The USB directly connected to a free USB port of the Mac and not through any USB hub or extention.

If the printer does not appear, there seem to be some connection issue, I would suggest you to try a different USB cable than.

Please let me know of any progress,

Shlomi

If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
Fernando_Cali
Message 5 of 21 (2,120 Views)

Thanks again, ShlomiL!

I figured out the SSID and the WPA key!

Now to the next hurdle - sorry:

The printer doesn't come up in the list under USB kind or any other form. Only my other printer appears.

I make sue the printer is on;

When I plug a brand new (or, to the same effect, any other) printer USB cable coming from the HP P1102w printer directly to the MacBook, a prompt comes up reading "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" with options: Ignore and Eject.

Clicking on "Eject" repeats the prompt.

Clicking on "Ignore" stops prompting.

Same last result if I remove the cable.

I have rebooted the Mac, to no avail and repeated the process.

This message didn't come up when I first configured the printer with the cable connected, after which I deleted the printer, as I wrote to you before.

I'm stumped, and perhaps you are too (sorry). I wonder if there are some pieces of software from the deleted printer configuration on the Mac that are intefering.

Please continue helping!

Tutor
Fernando_Cali
Message 6 of 21 (2,109 Views)

Hello, ShlomiL:

After posting my 05-29-2012 01:52 PM reply I re-rebooted the MacBook and reconnected the USB from the P1102w printer to it. It seems the MacBook had some strange things going on because I finally got the Mac to "see" the P1102w printer and I proceeded as follows. Indeed there are a couple of things below that still have prevented me prin success! Here goes:

I saw the printer under Print & Fax; selected the printer;

Pressed the "+" button to Add the printer

The P1102w printer was there (USB Kind)

I pressed ADD and this message appeared: A queue for this printer already exists. Do you really want to create a new queue? Options: CANCEL and Continue. I chose Continue.

A new queue with same name followed with "-1" was created.

I selected this new queue and clicked on Open Print Queue.

Then selected the Utility tab

Then clicked on Open Printer Utilities

Finally clicked on HTML Config... and got a browser view http://localhost:5050/SSI/index.htm.

Here I got stumped again. Couldn't get to your suggested Step 6 (Networking Tab, or anything else. So I canceled all the way out to write this new reply. Suffice it to say that now the Print & Fax screen shows 2 printers.

So, please advise? How can I complete steps 6 through 15 when I'm getting the htp code?

Thanks again!

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 7 of 21 (2,093 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Fernando,

It seems as we are getting some issues, we will go through those by the end...

Please try the following steps and let me know if that help:

1. Open Safari browser.
  2. From the top menu, click Safari.
  3. Click Empty Cache and confirm by clicking Empty.
  4. From the same Safari menu click Reset Safari.
  5. Keep only the last 3 options checked (Close all Safari windows, Reset all location warning and Remove all website data.
  6. Click Reset.
  7. Turn the printer Off and then turn it On again.
  8. Reset the printing system as following:
    *Be aware that resetting the printer system will remove any existing print queue and reset any customized driver settings.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
    Select Print & Fax.
    Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your product in the Printers list in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system .
    Click OK to confirm the reset.
    Type your user Name and Password .
    Click OK . The printing system resets.
  9. Now click the Plus icon and re-add the USB printer.
  10. Follow the steps above starting from step 6.

Please let me know what's going on,

Shlomi

Tutor
Fernando_Cali
Message 8 of 21 (2,089 Views)

Good morning, ShlomiL!

Thanks again for your reply. Forgive me for being a nag... Prior to continuing with your new set of steps, I must clarify some aspects and ask (obviously) more questions:

Clarification and question 1: I don't use Safari on my MacBook - I use Firefox. So... How do I clear the cache in Firefox? I entered "Cache" in the "Help" search field, to no avail!

Question 2: Am I right in assuming that when starting with this new set of 10 instructions the physical printer ought to be connected to the Mac via the USB cable?

Clarification and question 3: After all we have done on the Mac, I have 2 entries for the HP P1102w. Should your new steps 8, 9 & 10 be performed on BOTH entries? Just on ONE? Delete one and perform them on the remaining one?

Question 4: Will my HPC5180, by doing the Reset, be removed automatically? (I can't afford that!) (Well, unless you can help me in re-adding it to the Mac...)

Finally - question 5: On your last Step 10 you indicate to "Follow the steps above starting from step 6". I'm confused. Won't the incumbent printer be removed by performing the Reset?

Sorry, as you can notice, I feel a bit nervous about moving forward with all my doubts hanging in there!

Thanks for your help (and sorry for having you working at midnight!)

Fernando Medina

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 9 of 21 (2,085 Views)

Hi Fernand,

It is actually afternoon in here, so there is really no reason to be sorry :smileywink:

You are really not being a nag, feel free to share any question you may have !!

question 1 - Although You use Firefox, the HTML Config relies on Safari, therefore you should open Safari and follow the steps above to clear its chache.

question 2 - Indeed, those steps need to be followed while the printer connected to your Mac with USB.

question 3 - My intention is to have only a single print queue of the P1102w before following those steps, there is no need to repeat those steps twice.

question 4 - As you have a different printer, Skip the Reset Printing system steps... Simply remove any existing copy of the P1102w by highlighting it and clicking the minus sign.

question 5 - Sorry, my bad indeed, ad a typo with the number :smileywink: after completing those steps you should follow the Wireless configuration steps I previously posted:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/HP-Laser-Professional-P1102w-on-Window...

I hope it is clear now, please let me know if something is not yet clear.

Shlomi

Tutor
Fernando_Cali
Message 10 of 21 (2,081 Views)

ShlomiL - Hello.

I just got your reply, and proceeded as instructed. No luck.

When I ress the "HTML Config..." button I again get the browser sowhing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  <title>HP LaserJet Professional P1102w&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;USB</title>
  <link href="/SSI/defaultnew.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="screen,print">
  <script type="text/javascript" src="/SSI/global.js"></script>
  <script type="text/javascript" src="/SSI/buttonManager.js"></script>... etc.

Please advise! NOTE that the printer at that point is still connected via USB.

Fernando Medina

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation