Question

Student
VernonAlberta
Message 1 of 2 (3,094 Views)

HP LaserJet 1020, Windows 7 64-bit, and "abnormal program execution"

My HP LaserJet 1020 printer no longer works with my Windows 7 64-bit computer.  I have tried the latest driver, with no luck.  I have also tried uninstalling the driver (to force a clean install of the driver), but the uninstall gets the error message "Setup encounted an abnormal program execution.  Setup will shutdown."  (Yes, the error message has the typographical error.  It probably should read "Setup encountered an abnormal program execution.  Setup will shutdown.")

The error message is encountered even when the uninstall is tried in safe mode.

I have tried the "HP Print Diagnostic Utility 4.1".  It mumbles something about not being able to find the uninstall utility and suggests using the Windows uninstall.

I have tried other USB ports.  No luck.

Suggestions?...

Top Student
ChrisBedford
Message 2 of 2 (2,202 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 1020, Windows 7 64-bit, and "abnormal program execution"

Wonder if you sorted out your problem, Vernon - I see no replies to your post :-(

This thread http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/hp-laserjet-1020-does-not-print/td-p/1426721

appears to give a workable set of steps to deal with the issue. Biggest one seems to be removal of that corrupted installation. To do that I deleted these folders (it may be better politics to rename them!):-

- C:\Program Files\hp

- C:\Program Files (x86)\hp

- C:\Program Files\zenographics\{long string of hex characters}

After doing this, when you go into Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features (i.e. "Uninstall a Program") and try to uninstall the printer, instead of getting the run time error after a couple of steps, you get an immediate error that the program could not be fuond and would you like to remove it form the list. Say yes, then download and install the drivers for the LJ1022, following the lady's PDF socument that she helpfully posted in that discussion above.

Worked for me, but I have no idea how long it is going to continue working :-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation