Question

Student
Noc32
Message 1 of 6 (3,116 Views)

HP LaserJet P1102 problems

So I bought my new printer and I can't get it working on my XP computer. I am installing the drivers and I am stuck at this step where it says: " new device is now connecting" but this is the problem. The progress bar is loading and when it's finished it starts all over again. I keep the printer powered off until this message appears and I power it on when it tells me to but still nothing. I waited for the printer for like 3 hours and still nothing. What do I do? 

Student
lindsayl284
Message 2 of 6 (2,873 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P1102 problems

I'm having the same problem. 

I tried downloading the latest v8.0 driver and the same problem occurs. 

I also tried using the 'smart install', but I get an error saying that the 'installation failed'. 

Thanks,

Lindsay

PS: There hasn't been a response to this issue for 6 months, do the HP support team even read these threads?

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 3 of 6 (2,863 Views)

Hello lindsayl284,

Try following these troubleshooting steps to help resolve your issue.

Even though the issue described doesn't match your issue exactly the errors are similar.

'Device setup failed to complete' or 'Unknown device' Message Displays in Windows during USB Install...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
lindsayl285
Message 4 of 6 (2,853 Views)

Firstly, this HP forum leaves a lot to be desired. Even though I was logged in, when I went to reply it asked me to create a display name, even though I had originally posted under 'lindsayl284'! So now I have to use lindsayl285 to reply, I have no idea why.

Secondly, after two days of fiddling around, I seem to have gotten the driver installed and printer working. I am an IT professional, and have almost 20 years of building and working with PCs - The amount of trouble I had installing this printer was ridiculous. After calling the lcoal HP Australian support line, I was redirected to a lady in Korea who barely spoke a word of English. She kindly looked up an Australian number for me, which turned out to be the same number I'd called in the first place. Needless to say, I will not be buying HP again in the future.

Here is the solution that ended up working for me:

- Using msconfig, do a 'safe' reboot unchecking all non-Microsoft services, and unchecking all Startup options. 

- Once rebooted, install as normal using the latest downloaded driver.

- Using msconfig, reboot in normal mode, rechecking all non-Microsoft services and Startup options.

Even then, I had to use Windows automatic troubleshooting to repair the USB connection as it had detected a problem. And even after that, I had to go through the entire process a second time (Not sure why, the computer stopped detecting the printer.)

I hope that helped someone.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 5 of 6 (2,841 Views)

Hello lindsayl285,

I'm sorry for all the problems you was having. I'll take a note of the solution you was able to find for your problem in case another user experiences the same issue. Your experience and trials and tribulations may assist other users having the same problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
lindsayl285
Message 6 of 6 (2,838 Views)

HardBeatZ wrote:

Hello lindsayl285,

I'm sorry for all the problems you was having. I'll take a note of the solution you was able to find for your problem in case another user experiences the same issue. Your experience and trials and tribulations may assist other users having the same problem.

Thanks, I hope so too. Just glad I got it sorted out! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation