Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Capture.PNGHey all, I am helping a friend with an HP printer called the HP Laserjet 1018 in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It was working for a long time then decided to stop working, not the printer but the driver, I Googled the problem after seeing the error message which I think it said this: 

"Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine"

But it doesn't say this anymore. When I try to remove it from the devices list, and reinstall the driver manually... it doesn't work. The Printer when plugged into another USB port doesn't even work still, Windows Update searches for the driver and cannot find it, it just says "failed". 

The last driver was made in 2009... why is this happening!!!!!!???

btw in the image above that is what it shows up as, everything is "unavailable".....

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall it using file from the following link ?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1814...

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Did you give me the link to the diagnostic tools or the actual plug and play driver?. I have tried the plug and play driver for Windows 7 64-bit, it didn't work. Before I left my friends place, I was able to uninstall the driver for the printer and then re-plug the usb for the printer back in and i was able to tell it to print a test document out of open office but Win7 was being forced to shut down because of some HP support application after it just installed some updates.

After it restarted the document was printed, so i tried to print another test document to double check to make sure it really was working and it didn't work, it didn't show up as a printer again. It gave me an error message but I clicked it off by accident, too fast for me to write it down and show here. Now I am home, so it may be awhile before I go back to this.. thanks for the tip anyways. I have never had a problem with drivers and Windows 7, but anything is possible i guess. If anyone has had the same problem please let me know what you did to fix this!!!.

HP Recommended

My printer is working fine on the old computer (Dell) and now with my new HP Pro windows 7 ,everthing is set up right and the printer just wont print. Windows tells me the set-up is configured right and the communication between the two machines are good. The printer did print some documents in memory after an hour of trying everything possible, and now nothing will print on demand.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.