Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have this printer but i dont have the cables to connect it to my dell laptop because it does not support parralel port that is on the printer.where can i get the cable and the drivers

HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details.  What operating system?

If I were going to hook up a Laserjet 5 these days I would probably buy a network card on ebay and hook it up to my router.  In this case you would need a LAN cable to connect to the router and you would need a free port on the router.

Another option would be a USB-parallel adapter.  These can be problematic, make sure the model you choose is supported by your operating system.  The models in these tagged posts have been reported by users to work in Windows 7.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Where do we find the converter for this printer? What is it called on a search...
I have laserjet 5 and the new desktop does not have the parellel port, so I need to convert it to a usb tooo.....
HP Recommended

Same question, but OS is Windows 8, on a laptop.  I have a Monoprice USB to parallel cable that worked fine with Windows 7.  No luck with Windows 8 so far.  Suggestions?

HP Recommended

Not all USB to Parallel cables are of the same quality.  I am running ab HP Laserjet 5 with a 

Sabrent USB to Parallel IEEE 1284 I purchased on Amazon for $7.99.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.