HP Laserjet 5 Parallel Cable Printer to USB (10885 Views)
Student
simumba
Message 11 of 14 (1,673 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 5 Parallel Cable Printer to USB

i have this printer but i dont have the cables to connect it to my dell laptop because it does not support parralel port that is on the printer.where can i get the cable and the drivers

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 12 of 14 (1,672 Views)

Please read this post then provide some details.  What operating system?

If I were going to hook up a Laserjet 5 these days I would probably buy a network card on ebay and hook it up to my router.  In this case you would need a LAN cable to connect to the router and you would need a free port on the router.

Another option would be a USB-parallel adapter.  These can be problematic, make sure the model you choose is supported by your operating system.  The models in these tagged posts have been reported by users to work in Windows 7.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
acaysha1
Message 13 of 14 (1,449 Views)

Where do we find the converter for this printer? What is it called on a search...
I have laserjet 5 and the new desktop does not have the parellel port, so I need to convert it to a usb tooo.....
Student
msaltveit
Message 14 of 14 (1,310 Views)

Same question, but OS is Windows 8, on a laptop.  I have a Monoprice USB to parallel cable that worked fine with Windows 7.  No luck with Windows 8 so far.  Suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation