Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

My laserjet M1212nf isn't found when connected through USB. From the installation disc it stops at "waiting for you to connect the device". However the printer will print, but it doesn't install the printer software. I need the printer software as I need to scan to PDF.

I have downloaded drivers, changed the usb cord, made sure everything is plugged in, repaired through the installation CD, and restarted my computer.

Thanks -Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This thread has been locked, For more information on HPPIW please refer to the following support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060

The HP Printer Install Wizard is a support application from HP that assisted in downloading printer software. This support application is no longer supported by HP. The last update to this software was on September 22, 2015.

To download and install the latest version of software for your HP printer, please visit 123.hp.com, HP support website, or HP Support Assistant (in English).

I Work for HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey Rob,

It sounds like the Windows in-OS drivers took the install and is blocking the HP software from proceeding.  Did you possibly plug the USB cable into the PC prior to performing the install of the HP software?

If so, please stop the installation process by selecting Connect Later or stopping the installation program in the Task Manager.  Unplug the USB cable between the PC and printer.  

• Click the Start menu of the PC
  • Select Printers and Faxes or Devices and Printers depending on your Windows version
  • For older versions of windows (Prior to Windows 7): Right click in the empty white space and select Run as Administrator>Print Server Properties
  • For newer versions of windows: Click on any printer in the list of printers and select Print Server Properties at the top of the window
  • Select the Drivers tab and delete any drivers for the Laserjet printer.

Now you should be able to run the installation file again and select USB installation.  Wait for the software to request plugging in the USB cable before doing so.

Let me know how it goes,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I am having extactly the same issue - The latest drivers for this printer simply do not detect the printer, clearly an issue HP must fix ASAP. How do I know this? Because the HP Printer install wizard for windows program "hppiw" detects my printer without issue but it states that it does not have the appropriate drivers.

The supposes drivers from the HP site when downloaded (tried both the 200+MB version and the 10MB one) neither appear to even detect the HP printer connected via USB. I plug the same device to my Windows 7 machine, and no issue.

Also, HP US customer service was horrific, hoping someone with some sense will read this and publish drivers that will work with the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows as the stand alone printer drivers don't even detect the printer!

Last time I'll be buying an HP printer.

HP Recommended

This thread has been locked, For more information on HPPIW please refer to the following support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060

The HP Printer Install Wizard is a support application from HP that assisted in downloading printer software. This support application is no longer supported by HP. The last update to this software was on September 22, 2015.

To download and install the latest version of software for your HP printer, please visit 123.hp.com, HP support website, or HP Support Assistant (in English).

I Work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.