Question

Top Student
PicSniper
Message 1 of 2 (97 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP OfficeJet 150 - Setup Program Installation Failure

Hello all! I have run out of options and am in desperation mode.

I purchased an HP OfficeJet 150 portable printer to pair with my Dell XPS12 laptop while I'm on the go at work. Unfortunately, I'm on day #3 and I can't get the installation program to finish installing the drivers and programs necessary to make the printer print and scan. It "unpacks" itself when I try to run the setup program, but doesn't do anything after that. I have tried to use the disk that came with the printer, as well as the complete program file that can be downloaded from the HP website. The setup file installs and the printer works fine on my daughter's laptop, which also run Windows 8.1 in 64-bit, so it's not a cable, software or printer issue. I have gone as far as deleting the McAfee antivirus program that came pre-loaded on the laptop and tried to install, but was still unsuccessful. I have been through two levels of support with Dell in both their XPS and printer divisions, as well as two levels of HP support on three separate occasions. In the end, each company points the finger at the other company, so I'm stuck in a void that I can't get out of.

PLEASE, does anyone else have any suggestions? I'm all out of ideas and really need to get this issue resolved.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts!

Vic
Top Student
PicSniper
Message 2 of 2 (77 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet 150 - Setup Program Installation Failure

Solution: Since my laptop is less than two months old, I decided to try reinstalling Windows, since this is the only thing that hadn't been tried yet. After backing up my work files, I went through the rather lengthy Windows 8.1 reinstallation process and then tried to load the HP OfficeJet 150 installation software. It worked!

After experiencing so many failed attempts by three different technicians at HP and two at Dell, I believe the problem was actually caused by the first HP technician because he went through my registry and deleted and modified many entries. The third HP technician, however, pointed out that my McAfee firewall was likely the problem from the very beginning. Turning off the firewall was a step that no other technician had ever tried, until she did so on day #3. Had I ended up with the third HP technician in the first place, this whole debacle would likely have been averted.

Regardless, the problem is now solved and I can use the printer for portability at work, which is exact what I needed to accomplish.

Now, I have to try to set up a Bluetooth connection. Wish me luck!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation