Question

Honor Student
ForHisGlory
Message 1 of 21 (2,177 Views)

HP OfficeJet 7110 - 11x17 and borderless conflict

I want to print a 11x17 folded booklet type newsletter, with a front, back and two insides.  I'm using HP Premium multipurpose paper and printing pictures, clip art, colored text boxes and mostly text.

I want to print exactly the scaling of my PDF (formerly PowerPoint slides) but it keeps giving me printed margins.

I've just downloaded foxit to try to help the printing, but I'm still running into conflicts with the officejet properties.  Stayed up until 1:30 AM last night working on it.  Had to convert the PowerPoint slides into PDF to print, and used Acrobat's print set-up with HP set-up to print, but it came out with huge margins.

It doesn't want me to print borderless/no margins on 11x17 or "tabloid" ...with plain paper.  And it gets complicated, too, if I want to try double-sided printing, too. (I have just ordered the accessory duplex to do that soon.)  I'm having to keep altering this and that to agree with something....so many conflict messages. 

And I'd like to see it in draft printing to see if the coloring will be alright, if not, then normal.  But it seems to want BEST and that's too much for just regular paper and I can't afford to use that much.

Help?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 21 (2,148 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet 7110 - 11x17 and borderless conflict

Hopefully I can be of some assistance getting borders and margins off of the tabloid print-outs but I will need to know what kind of operating system you are using to be of much assistance.  Is this problem only happening in Adobe Acrobat?

Page 26 of the User Guide breaks down the basics of borderless printing.  Let me know if this link does or does not answer your question and then please answer mine so I can help.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
ForHisGlory
Message 3 of 21 (2,122 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

I'm using an old HP laptop with Windows XP Pro.

It happens in more than Acrobat, including Foxit, Word, PowerPoint, etc.

I viewed the user guide you mentioned and it just goes over what I've already tried.

So, my problems are still unresolved.

I'm wondering if there is some small HP download to extend the print setting for this printer.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 21 (2,114 Views)

Thank you for answering all of my questions.  I want to supply a picture of the printing options I received from the product specifications page.  Are these the options you see when you choose paper size and type?

borderless wide format.PNG

It sounds like perhaps a template setting deeper in your software may be off.  As I understand this happens to you from many programs, please let me know which program you would prefer to work with over all else so that I can recreate your problem and do some tests?

These are symptoms I see often when using what are called plug and play drivers.  Also, do be aware there is also another Officejet 7110 that is not a wide-format printer.  I have a good feeling you have the correct one, but just to be sure, how did you install the printer software on your computer (software disc that came with the printer or the HP website)?

Honor Student
jacobrothermel
Message 5 of 21 (2,021 Views)

I've been having this same problem myself with the 7110.  I'm working on a Dell Latitude E6430 running Windows 7-32bit.  I installed the HP software from the CD as the plug&play faulted for some reason.

It seems that the 7110 won't let you print to anything but photo paper when I attempt to set the Advanced Preferences to Borderless Printing: Print Borderless.  I've tried all sorts of combinations but the 7110 keeps telling me I've set "Incompatible Print Settings" and that the papersize (Tabloid 11x17- plain paper) and the Borderless Printing (Print Borderless) are incompatible.  But it won't tell me WHY this is incompatible and it won't allow me to override it in any way.

Every combination I have tried within the realm of the settings for the printer want to scale the drawing (from autoCAD) which is unacceptable or print the page with a border.  The program AutoCAD, however, doesn't tell me anything is wrong and "Previews" the drawing just fine with the borderless 11x17.

Am I missing something?  Or is the 7110 hardwired to print plain paper with a border, no matter what?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 21 (2,018 Views)

What papertype are you printing on? Like you assumed borderless is for photo paper or glossy. Try fast draft mode if you can find that option. I hope that helps. Let me know if that is not an option and I'll go get on my PC to research it for you.

Honor Student
jacobrothermel
Message 7 of 21 (2,015 Views)

Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned that. I'm printing to plain paper. Is there really NO option to print borderless on ANYTHING but photo paper? I have a hard time believing that would be hardwired into any otherwise fine quality printer.

I should be able to print however I want on whatever quality paper I want.
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 21 (2,012 Views)

Just checking. So you're getting a border using plain paper? Sounds like perhaps the image is zoomed out? I wish I was more familiar with your AutoCAD software. Margins, zooming, etc... does it literally look like a border with a frame and such or is it possible to be one of my suggestions above? Thanks for working with me.

Honor Student
jacobrothermel
Message 9 of 21 (2,009 Views)

No, no physical border of any kind. It just...doesn't print what should be there.
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 10 of 21 (2,007 Views)

Interesting...so the print preview looks fine? Can you make a photo copy of a successful print out to verify it isn't something else (ink, software, etc)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation