Question

Top Student
mpgioia
Message 1 of 13 (60,012 Views)

HP Officejet 4500 G510g-m - Full Feature Software - Printer setup has failed to complete

[ Edited ]

Win XP Pro SP3 x86

Printer connected via wired means. IP set.  Reachable on LAN.

Ran HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver package (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL32438/mp-80344-1/OJ4500vG510g-m_Full_13_en.exe).

SLP finds printer.  Serial number and MAC address resolved.  Drivers installed to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86\3\*.* (and strangely at the ...\W32X86\ sub-folder, there is another folder titled 'hpofficejet_4500_g512d90' that holds the same content as the '3' subfolder, but the Printer drivers accessed via Start -> Printers and Faxes -> File -> Server Properties -> Drivers, for the Officejet 4500 G510g-m references the drivers in the /3/ subfolder... buh... bit strange)

But the wizard doesn't complete the installation.  Printer setup has failed to complete on final screen of wizard.

But... there might be sinister evil causing/relating to this... Let me continue. 

I had done this in the past and it worked fine.  But then started to have printing issues.  To be honest, even before this HP printer (using older HP printer hardware) printing was always a little buggy.  So I thought.  In line with updated printing hardware I thought I'd run cleanspl.exe.  The result out of running this Win2k3 utility caused all printers installed to be deleted.  Half makes sense.  No stress.  Thus, in my eyes, cleaning the spool service/compilation on the Win OS side renders everything on the OS side back to its default state.  Also run a sfc /scannow for good measure.

Since doing this.  I can't re-install the Officejet 4500 with the full feature software set.  I get this 'Printer setup has failed to complete'.

Also, another question... As it might be related....What's the deal with the Multifunction adapter -> Officejet 4500 G510g-m device instance id (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\Multifunction\0000) ?

It's disabled on startup.  No drivers loaded.  One can mark it as enabled if one wants to.  Running the full feature installation after enabling it (in the hope that it was because this device instance was disabled as to why the wizard installation failed), doesn't make a difference, it still fails, and then immediately this device instance, once again, becomes disabled.

Please help.  It shouldn't be this hard to install a printer.

I have Trend Internet Security Pro installed, but have even completely unloaded all core AV/FW processes of the app before running the installation.  Again, doesn't make a difference.

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 13 (59,953 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 G510g-m - Full Feature Software - Printer setup has failed to complete

Hi, this can cause the problem your having.

1. disconnect the printer

Officejet 4500 G510g-m device instance id (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\Multifunction\0000

Delete this from your registry and then reinstall it.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Top Student
mpgioia
Message 3 of 13 (59,922 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 G510g-m - Full Feature Software - Printer setup has failed to complete

Picardje,

No probs.  Makes sense.  Don't know why I didn't try this earlier.

And The full L4 scrubber wouldn't remove this sort of thing ?!? (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL32442/mp-80351-1/OJ4500vG510g-m_Scrubber_13.exe)

I should have mentioned that I tried this also.

Let me see if I can issue the scrubber and see whether this device instance still remains in registry.  The concept, should be, that it won't.  Correct ?

Professor
Picardje
Message 4 of 13 (59,919 Views)

Hi,

Wekll not sure the scrubber will take care of it. The 0000 at the end tell me the device is not properly recognized, and thus the scrubber might not see it as a file it needs to remove. (seen this issue before) So if you know how remove it manually.

Top Student
mpgioia
Message 5 of 13 (59,917 Views)

Okay..... My bad....I should have, again, also mentioned this before..... 

I have tried to delete this HKLM device instance. It seemingly appears deleted, in that live OS session, only to an issue a restart of the OS, and see it repopulated.

True, I have only done/tried this while the printer is powered on still, but it's not USB connected, it's IP connected. 

I understand for this device instance/reg pointer gets re-populated on bootup, say if the computer is USB connected to the printer but the printer has no physical cable to the computer.  It is IP reachable only.

I might try going into safe mode to keep this reg pointer deleted, even after a restart.

I think I have seen this before also with a failed driver installation for a completely different device/scenario.  I.e. Stray evidences of this other device instance, i.e. sitting under 'root\0000'.  Can't remember how I resolved it.....

Professor
Picardje
Message 6 of 13 (59,915 Views)

Hi,

strange, in that case just try disconnecting from the ip as well, it should not be the issue, but who knows.

Top Student
mpgioia
Message 7 of 13 (59,745 Views)

Picardje,

Nothing worked. 

Tried to go into safe mode to delete that strange reg pointer in,

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\Multifunction\0000\

No good.

Still showing up on normal OS (full services/startup enabled) load..... :@

I think this might be the culprit.....I'll try some more forum/thread searching.

Power cycled printed.  Disconnected/re-connected network flylead. 

Nothing.

Can we get some more granular HP technical eyes over this?  It's not making any sense....

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 8 of 13 (59,740 Views)

Hi,

Please try the following:

Enter Printers and Faxes, Make sure to remove any copy of the printer if there are some.

Reboot your PC and enter to the Printers anf faxes screen once again:

Click File > Print server properties.

Make sure to remove any available TCP/IP Port under the Ports tab.

Enter the device manager, check for the printer model under the Imaging Devices category.

If it is available, make sure to uninstall it.

Remove the Registry value once again and reboot your PC.

I believe that the value reappears on a new session because the device is still configured and been communicated upon the PC restarts.

Please let me know if it was helpful.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
mpgioia
Message 9 of 13 (59,712 Views)

Hi ShlomiL,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm clear of any stray/present TCP/IP ports under 'Print Server Properties'. Nothing suspicious of the HP OfficeJet 4500 in there, nor any other TCP/IP ports configured. 100% clean.

I'll double check the device manager again... But I don't think anything is present there either.

UPDATE - with regards to the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\Multifunction\0000 key.

The reason why this kept re-appearing on startup, is because there was a tie to a driver GUID (there was a driver GUID string present in the overarching \0000 key) that was being referenced.  Purged all evidence of this driver GUID in CurrentControlSet, ControlSet001, ControlSet002, etc, as well as the multifunction device keys in Enum\Root.  Now, with a restart, they stay gone...... different things occurring now with the wizard installation... Great ! Different is better than the same... Even though it appears worse.... *sigh*.......... let me go on.

I do a full L4 scrubber with the supplied HP utility.  And when running a new installation, selecting that the printer is 'connected via an ethernet/network cable to a router/access point', which it is, it then attempts to find it via SLP, as per usual.  Nothing different yet.  SLP TCP/UDP ports dynamically get created/open up via UPnP on Windows Firewall of this PC, so I know a remote device is trying to contact the PC i'm trying to install on, via SLP, but it can't find the printer now... Before it could at least find the printer, just couldn't complete installation.

You have the option of going to 'Advanced Search', and manually typing in an IP address.  Which I did also.  Still failed to resolve the printer.  I can ping the IP though, and the web UI is resolved if you dump the IP in a browser window. Therefore, IP communication to and from the PC and the printer is fine.  It's highly co-incidental that the successful find of the printer in the HP software installation wizard seems to tie in with whether the aforementioned reg keys/content is sitting in the PC.....

What on earth is going on ??!!

Honor Student
micklooking
Message 10 of 13 (54,387 Views)

What on earth is going on ??!! You bought an HP machine, their software is Terrible... 

I am buying a Lexmark next time.

I am currently attempting to repair a friends printer once again. I have reinstalled this a few times, it will not simply let me install with a port and basic driver, I need the software for the scanning function.

I have this printer installed Static IP TCP/IP RAW  9100 Port at 192.168.x.xx

I can send a print job, access the NIC / Web Interface page at 192.168.x.xx

Yet the software can not find the Printer, I run the Network Diagnostics and it stalls at 26% ( Checking Settings ar network adapter), the firewall is off, I have allowed every possible exception, There is no other anti virus or firewalls to close.

Sometimes it will find the machine, I have gone through all of the software set the IP address, still unable to connect.

I have uninstalled reinstalled a few times.

I am going to give up on this crapware and buy a scanner, next printer will be a lexmark as I never have problems with Lexmark.

I can not call HP, I cant understand a word of India / Pakistani so that is no option.

When you do call them they have to escalate the issues 4 or 5 times. ( I use to call them all the time at work for warranty purposes )  ....

The person who this is in reply to, seems to know a few things about what is happening here.

My advice would be, Find the basic driver ( this is for WIn Xp, I extract to desktop, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-80349-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...= ) 

Try installing it manually, set the printer to static IP address, then install printer creating a port with that IP address.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation