Question

Honor Student
cavalli
Message 1 of 10 (21,316 Views)

HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z wireless configuration install issues

Like many, during the installation / configuration process for my new HP printer, I receive the message:

"Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.39.59, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.2.77 of the PC.  Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry."  I've scoured the HP forum for solutions given to people who have a similar message as I do.  After reading and testing many ideas from PrintDoc, none seem to work.  I will try to give thorough details of my configuration to maximize my chance of successfully receiving help:

Computer: HP Pavilion p6610f Desktop PC (BM417AA)

O/S: Win7 64-bit

LAN IP address: 192.168.2.77

Router: WRT-54GL

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini (latest recommended version)

DHCP Server: Enabled

Wireless Network Name (SSID): changed to something other than "Linksys" or "DD-WRT".  (It's my company name, so I know it's unique.)

Wireless Channel: 11 (PrintDoc keeps telling people to use this one.  Tried many.)

Wireless Security Mode: Disabled (Remote location without physical access from others, so no need.  Also have older equipment that only works with WEP, and that's relatively unsecure anyway.)

Wireless MAC Filter: Disabled

Allocated a static lease to the MAC address of the printer.  It shows up correctly connecting with 192.168.2.90 address in the router software.

Running the utility HPHNDU.exe (HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility):

No HP printers are found on the network, even when the HP 4500 is plugged in via USB to the above listed comptuer

Computer: Has right information populated, for the 192.168.2.77 computer

Network: SSID (Router)="Not Applicable" is strange; it correctly has the Default Gateway="192.168.2.1"; the MAC is right

Display Detected Wireless Networks - correctly finds my SSID, signal quality=2%, security=no, channel=11

Display Detected Network Devices - correctly identifies all powered devices: router, 3 computers, 2 PVR set top boxes'

Retrieve WPA/WEP key - correctly returns "No Wireless Network Information is found" since there is no key set

Display Detected Firewalls - Microsoft Windows Firewall has status="Disabled"

I'm stunned about the 2% signal quality, given the printer is right next to the router antenna, and signal quality is very high from another computer about 20 yards away.  I have at least 10 other devices in this house connecting wired and wirelessly with no issues (or configuration effort).  I'm stunned I'm having this much effort getting this working, since I do so much router-based networking all the time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  :smileyhappy:

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 10 (21,287 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z wireless configuration install issues

Hello Cavalli,

The signal strength seems to be the issue. As a test please place the printer at least 1 or 2 meters away from the router, to close to the router isnt good for your signal as well.

If that helps you can try getting it on the network if you have a wireless computer. Just connect it directly via wifi to the computer and use the 168. number to get on the units Embedded Web Server. Change the ip to Manuel(static) and give it the correct network settings from your network. Save the settings and check if it can be found on your network now.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Honor Student
cavalli
Message 3 of 10 (21,261 Views)

Signal strength was reported '5' when connected by USB to the wired computer in the same room as the router.  Signal strength was reported '2' when connected by USB to the wireless computer in the other room.  Signal strength from the wireless computer is reported as '39%' from the computer and from ther router, the computer and printer reported strengths of 16% and 28%, respectively.  From the router perspective, it has a decent signal strength, it has obtained the correct static MAC-allocated IP address in the 192.168.2.x domain.

Same error when installing the printer on the wireless computer using USB as before.  I got the IP address 169.254.39.59.  Unfortunately, using "http://169.254.39.59/" doesn't connect to the "Embedded Web Server".  I think from what I've read that's the way to connect to it, but have had "could not connect to 169.254.39.59" messages in the browser.

I tried configuring the printer in the settings buttons on the printer itself.  It found the right SSID and I selected OK.  Nothing turned out any better.

I printed the "HP Network Configuration Page" and it verifies that the IPv4 address is the 169. number.

Thanks for the initial suggestions Picardje.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Professor
Picardje
Message 4 of 10 (21,213 Views)

Well seeing as you cannot even connect to the printer when using a direct connection via Wifi, something might be wrong with the printer. I suggest you contact your local HP support for some extended troubleshooting.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Student
Douthitk
Message 5 of 10 (21,012 Views)

Getting the same error as another user.  Sat on the phone for 5 hours with HP with no resolution.  Was told that it might be that my wireless security setting is WEP.  This doesn't make sense because the printer was working before I securede the router.

Installation incomplete, printer is using IP address 169.254.39.59 and PC address is 192*

Grad Student
dre1023
Message 6 of 10 (20,991 Views)

try do these steps:

• Unplug the power cord from the HP All-in-One.
  • Wait for 20 seconds.
  • Press and hold # and 6 while plugging in the power cord to the HP All-in-One.
  • Release the buttons after the HP All-in-One starts up.
  • The HP All-in-One will now be reset to factory defaults.
  •  

this would reset your printer back to factory defaults and attempt to try and gain a new ip address from your router.

reasons for having an ip address of 169.254

1. wrong wep code (printer would still connect to the network but due to the restrictions that the wireless router has it would just display a bad ip address its feature was made to prevent hackers to easily crack your network key i will suggest for you to call your router manufacturer)

2. printer issue (if the printer can't receive a good ip address it tends to use that ip address as a default, i would suggest you to set the ip address of your printer manually so that you can set it up ranging to what your computer could reach)

hopes those informations helped you.

Dre
    "I may not be the best of help there is, but at least i would try my best to give you a reply on your questions"

Please Click the KUDOS button as a sign of "thanks"

For Other Questions or Informations email me @ laijayadrian@hotmail.com
    Tutor
    zardiw
    Message 7 of 10 (20,271 Views)

It's not the freaking signal strength........when it can't communicate right, it ALWAYS says 'low signal strength"........And getting it to communicate is a PITAAAAAA..........z

Tutor
    zardiw
    Message 8 of 10 (20,267 Views)

Quote: Installation incomplete, printer is using IP address 169.254.39.59 and PC address is 192

169.254.39.59 is a generic IP address that means that the router and the printer have NOT negotiated an IP address on your network range (192....).

This means that DHCP on the router might be not set right.......or you have not enough clients allowed to log in to the router........could also mean the printer is screwed up.........z

Tutor
    zardiw
    Message 9 of 10 (20,265 Views)

[ Edited ]

Now, here's my issue.

This was working just peachy and all of a sudden stopped working.

Only thing I can think of is there were some files that it needs in the temp folder...which I emptied this AM.

Now it only works when I have MAC filtering turned off on the Router............and I don't LIKE turning that off.

The MAC address of the printer was added to the router mac address list.......so what's the PROBLEM?.......Was working fine b4 with that.

I also use static IP addresses.........cause I don't LIKE having DHCP enabled and letting the router assign IP's.......

Another complaint I have on this printer software is it does NOT let you check what IP address it's using......you can only REPLACE the IP address ...........which is also a pain..........Plus the subnet mask and the default gateway.....no way to check what's in there.

Now I THINK what's happening is the printer isn't sending it's MAC address correctly.........maybe a hardware issue?

It SAYS it's connected to my network........has the right SSID and everything........BUT, when I ping it through the router, it times out.................

Too bad...........cause this is going back to the store if it doesn't work..............Already returned 1 cause it wouldn't feed paper worth crap..................z

Student
    nancyreyes
    Message 10 of 10 (1,265 Views)

my mom added a wifi to the ethernet threw cble ,now my printer won't printer net.what now .i reran ,rebooted .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation