HP Officejet 4500 makes terrible sound like a machine gun when preparing to print. No error message. (1221 Views)
Honor Student
notagirlygirl
Message 1 of 9 (1,221 Views)

HP Officejet 4500 makes terrible sound like a machine gun when preparing to print. No error message.

My OfficeJet 4500 G510 makes a terrible noise like a machine gun when it is preparing to print.  There is no error message, and it prints the document. I have removed and replaced both toner cartridges, but it continues to make the noise.

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 2 of 9 (1,214 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 makes terrible sound like a machine gun when preparing to print. No error mess

If your printer is making loud noises when printing its possible doing a little cleaning on the inside could fix the issue.  I have included a document that could assist you.

Let me know if this helps.

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the white star under my name.

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP
Honor Student
notagirlygirl
Message 3 of 9 (1,206 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 makes terrible sound like a machine gun when preparing to print. No error mess

Thank you so much for your response and the cleaning suggestions.  We have taken the printer apart and cleaned the appropriate  areas as per the online instructions (and your attachment - thank you!), and closed the back of the printer, but it is still making the rat-a-tat-a-tat noise - - very loud.  When printing multiple copies of the same document, the noise only occurs when aligning the first page to be printed, but not when printing subsequent pages of the same document.  The noise is very loud, so we're pretty sure something will completely break inside the printer soon.  The printer is barely out of warranty, but we're thinking it will still probably be cheaper to replace it than to try to find someone locally to take it into for repair.  Please let us know if you think of anything else we can try. Thank you very much for your help!

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 4 of 9 (1,194 Views)

No if the noise is getting to you I understand.  At this point I would consider getting a replacement.

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the white star under my name.

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP
Honor Student
AvinashBadgujar
Message 5 of 9 (1,008 Views)

We have same problem. A Machine gun sound! I do not get exact solution in this regard.

Student
rb-43
Message 6 of 9 (855 Views)

I have 'machine gun' with my C4280. really loud. It started today after I dragged some paper out from a jam. Whether the pulling caused something to happen I don't know. Not sure what to dismantle to try and find the problem.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 7 of 9 (841 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 makes terrible sound like a machine gun when preparing to print. No error message.

Hi rb-43,

I am linking a troubleshooting guide for Paper Jams.  Click Here  I suggest that you follow these steps even though you have cleared the paper jam.  A flashlight can be helpful in verifying a clean paper path.  Let me know if this helps.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 8 of 9 (811 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 makes terrible sound like a machine gun when preparing to print. No error message.

Hello,
I just thought I’d check in to ask if you were able to resolve your issue.
Rich

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
MtrBao
Message 9 of 9 (680 Views)

My Officejet 4500 printer did the same thing. I tried the cleaning document, which did nothing. Now it no longer makes the machine gun noise, but it now frequently jams while printing. Works fine for about 10 sheets, then one has a crimped corner, then it just grabs the paper and jams. Have to cancel the print job and do a hard boot. 

I am thinking this printer is terminally unfixable, right? At the price of these things, it isn't worth it to pay a tech to fix it. Cheaper to buy new.  Nice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation