Question

Honor Student
Quakkelaar
Message 1 of 19 (4,074 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet 6500 E709n install failure - Can't see printer on network

My HP Officejet 6500 E709n refuses to recognize that it is already on the network at a specific IP address and being used by other computers in my home. How can I get this install software to work?  I have to let Windows 7 install it's own version, which worked (kind of).  I would rather have the solution center for scanning, but the HP install software (full package), unlike the MS Windows 7 software, cannot find the printer on the network, even when I give the software the exact IP address. 

(Yes, I uninstalled all the pieces I was supposed to uninstall in Control Panel per the instructions onn the re-re-re-install software page.) 

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 19 (4,053 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 E709n install failure - Can't see printer on network

Hi Quakkelaar,

Check out the solution on my other thread at the link below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/HP-6500-Wireless-does-not-scan/m-p/1220683#...

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
rchimes
Message 3 of 19 (2,408 Views)

Hi, I followed the link suggested to fix the problem regarding HP software not finding the printer on the network even when the IP address is added (Win 7 finds it OK) but the answer in the link is about 'Scanning'!?! Do you have an answer that is relevant to the question?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 19 (2,402 Views)

Hi rchimes,

What printer do you have?

When you indicate that (Win 7 finds it OK) does this mean you are able to open the EWS- Embedded Web Server by entering the IP Address assigned to the printer in Internet Explorer?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
rchimes
Message 5 of 19 (2,398 Views)

I never mentioned Internet Explorer. When I 'add a printer' using Windows 7 it detects the printer automatically and I can select it. However, the HP install program cannot find it even when I put in the IP address (which is 192.168.001.071 by the way). If I ping this address in a command prompt it responds immediately.

This printer Officejet 6500 was originally installed on the network and was fine. It was then taken off and used attached via USB to a laptop and also worked fine. When reattached to the network it did not work. The HP software was completely removed and installed again (twice) - on the main computer - but as soon as it comes to the configuration part of the procedure it cannot find the printer!

The printer works fine when installed through Windows but we cannot get the scanner part of the printer working because it doesn't think it is connected to the network. We needed the HP 'Essentials etc.,' installed so that the scanner can be configured but when we try to invoke the HP software it states that the printer has not bee installed.

I have not tried the 'print and scan doctor' yet but will do the next time I am in the office.

Regards

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 19 (2,394 Views)

Hi rchimes,

Thank you for the update. If you are still unable to get the issue resolved after using the Print and Scan doctor follow the steps to scrub the software on the computer, and then reinstall it.

Step one: Clear temp directory

1. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field

2. Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).

3. Continue with Step 2 below

Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-77752-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.

3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation

4. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field

5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy

7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.

8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop

9. Open folder Util

10. Open folder CCC

11. Run the uninstall_L4

12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

13. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools folder under all programs

14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
flubstered
Message 7 of 19 (2,248 Views)

It does not work. I am confused about moving the files to the desktop and the upgrading Flash. I sort of get that there seems to be pervasive settings stuck out there somewhere from previous install pooching things up but I have tried everything (the scrub seemed to scrub). HP sucks even if this not directly their fault they should find a fix for their loyal users or risk losing them.

Honor Student
flubstered
Message 8 of 19 (2,246 Views)

Yes I tried the new and improved HPPSDr and it detects my properly manually configured wired network address for my printer. I get excited until it actually puts you into a perpetual loop telling you to download the full software and install it. OF course the 300+ MB install of the software does not work because it can not detect my properly manually configured wired network. Catch-22 and not very smart (read as the nice pc way of saying stoooopid!!!). And yes I turned off every Firewall and AV and checked my router to make sure it is not f...ing things up. I honestly can not remember if I upgraded this to Win7 I doubt it...usually time for a fresh install... but I did think of that.

Teacher
vthapa
Message 9 of 19 (2,239 Views)

Could you check in services if HP Network discovery is started and running and also in Device Manager, click on View in the menu bar and click on Show hidden device and check if anything that says multifunction appears in device manager list if it does delete that and check
Honor Student
flubstered
Message 10 of 19 (2,202 Views)

HP Network Devices Support is not started and I am not able to start it...Error 126 specificed Module could not be found. There is nothing under Device Manager like you mention.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation