HP Officejet 8500 printer black ink leaking (5204 Views)
Honor Student
ukr2
Message 1 of 9 (5,204 Views)

HP Officejet 8500 printer black ink leaking

[ Edited ]

Our HP Officejet 8500 Color All-in-One with a new Printhead 3 months ago is leaking Black ink onto the paper tray and therefore on the paper. 

HP is sending a new printhead, but they don't warranty the mess it has made.  I need to clean it up, but can't get the printer apart.

Has anyone figured out how to disassemble the paper tray from the printer?

Ken R

[text removed for privacy]

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (5,194 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 8500 printer black ink leaking

I would insist on a new printer, not just a printhead.  Here is how to contact HP.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ukr2
Message 3 of 9 (5,171 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks PrintDoc, but HP just said that the Printer is out of warrenty (by 1-1/2 months) and the warrenty of the Printhead doesn't include cleaning up the ink.

Yet they keep saying "Thanks for being a loyal HP customer".

Any idea how to remove the paper tray from the printer?

Does anyone from HP Support monitor this Forum?

Ken Reasoner

[text removed for provacy]

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 9 (5,167 Views)

Honestly, I don't know how to take these things apart.  I know it is very involved and if you break a snap-fit, you may not get it back together right.

Also, HP does really not repair these units-per say, so you will not find repair instructions.  You can buy a new one for what it would cost someone to repair it.

Sorry.

I am employed by HP
Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 5 of 9 (5,166 Views)

Hi,

Follow the instructions below to replace the printheads in the All-in-One product.

Video of replacing the printhead

The following video demonstrates how to replace the cartridges and the printhead. You do not necessarily need to replace the cartridges. Simply refer to the video for replacing the printhead, and then stop the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbbzB-1Os1o

Honor Student
ukr2
Message 6 of 9 (5,143 Views)

Kevin,

Installing the Printhead is easy.

However, it's NOT easy to clean the overspray or leaking ink.

Do you know how to disassemble the paper tray from the printer, to help with the cleaning?

KR

Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 7 of 9 (5,137 Views)

Removing the two screws in the back, remove the top portion of the paper tray (the part that has the photo tray). This can be done easily by simply pulling it back, away from the printer. Once you do this, look at the bottom middle of the paper tray area where you will find another screw. Remove the screw, then carefully pull out the plastic borders on the sides of the paper tray that stick out from the printer. Once you do this you can take out the remainder of the paper tray assembly without much effort.

Carefully remove the print cartridge door. This part snaps into the hinge, so be gentle.

Then you can go ahead and gently pull the top of the printer off from the back towards the front. On the front this part is held by plastic snaps. Try to wiggle a finger through the sides where the paper tray assembly used to be to massage the snaps. Gently continue to apply pressure from the back of the printer towards the front and the snaps will eventually give. There's no foolproof way to do this, just be careful and gentle.

Once you have unsnapped the top cover, DON'T just try to toss it aside. The cover is connected to the printer body by three ribbon cables. Lift the top cover a bit so that you can get a finger inside and gently disengage the cables by applying pressure from the back of the printer towards the front. After this, you can safely put the cover aside and get to work on whatever you need to do. or you can take help from here for HP printers . Hope this helps you.

Honor Student
ukr2
Message 8 of 9 (5,124 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Kevin,

I removed the Paper Return on the back of the printer.

The edge near the printhead had globs of Black ink.  I spent an hour and a roll of paper towels cleaning it.

I've asked HP that a Supervisor should approve the Replacement of this printer for all the ink that has leaked inside the printer and onto the printer stand.  No word yet.

Does HP monitor this site?

Ken R[text removed for privacy]

Student
InkFoot
Message 9 of 9 (923 Views)

OMG, I look down at my foot and notice that the bottom of my foot is black and can't figure out why.  I have been having problems with my printer cleaning the print head again and again and it had been stuck on on all night and finally I had to pull out the power cord to shut it off.  Then I see it, black ink on my carpet, my paperwork, and OMG my $300 bookshelf!!!  And the ink just ate into the finish!  And I just bought about $200 in ink!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation