HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Scan to E-mail Setup (28722 Views)
Tutor
WmWadeWilder
Message 1 of 18 (28,722 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Scan to E-mail Setup

I would like to know if anyone has been able to get this option to work and if so does it only work for an SMTP email server or can you configure it for an HTTP email server ie; Windows Live Mail.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 18 (28,754 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Scan to E-mail Setup

AFAIK, you'll need the POP and SMTP server addresses of the email account you want to use to send teh email from. Windows Live Mail should work also. Just get the correct incoming and outgoing mail server addresses.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
WmWadeWilder
Message 3 of 18 (28,709 Views)

Thanks for your reply.  All I can locate is the HTTP server name and address.  How do I go about finding out the SMTP/POP server addresses?  Is there a way to find that out?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 18 (28,842 Views)

[ Edited ]

Incoming POP server: pop3.live.com, port = 995

Outgoing SMTP server: smtp.live.com, port = 25

Both of them require secure connection through SSL .

Message Edited by DexterM on 24/07/2009 06:12 AM
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
WmWadeWilder
Message 5 of 18 (28,801 Views)

TADAH!  I figured it out.  For anyone wanting to set this feature up using Windows Live Mail and who use Qwest and hotmail, here is a link to find out that little piece of information that I was looking so hard for.  http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/QA/email/pop_smtp_qa.html  Use the outgoing server name and instructions including SSL enabling, require authentication, etc.  Use your entire login name ie name@hotmail.com and password for the authentication.  Hope this might help someone else in the future and thanks for all your help.  :smileyhappy:
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 18 (28,802 Views)

Good to know you figured it out. I request you to mark your post as the Solution so that other users with the same issue can benefit from this thread.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
caliboy1
Message 7 of 18 (28,447 Views)

i have tried to set this up on gmail, hotmail, mac mail and my local cable provider email.  i get the same error message every time.

Cannot connect to server. Check the server name and the address.

what gives?

I am following the directions to a tee.  I have changed ports, etc.

Anybody figure this out?

Thanks. 

Tutor
WmWadeWilder
Message 8 of 18 (28,441 Views)

Here are the exact steps that I took to get a scan to email profile set up and working on my system using hotmail.

1.  From the Embedded Web Server screen, select the Scan to E-mail Setup option under Setup and Digital Filing.

2.  Under Outgoing Email Profiles, select Add Outgoing E-mail Profile.

E-mail Address: 

3.  At Your E-mail Address, enter your full email address ie name@hotmail.com.

4.  At Display Name, enter your name as you would like it to appear.

SMTP Server Settings:

5.  At SMTP Server, enter smtp.live.com.

6.  At SMTP Port, enter 25.

7.  Check the Always use secure connection (SSL/TLS) box.

SMTP Authentication:

8.  Check the SMTP server requires authentication for outgoing e-mail messages box.

9.  At SMTP User ID, enter your full email address ie name@hotmail.com.

10. At SMTP Password, enter your complete password for your hotmail account.

Optional Password:

11. At PIN (Optional), enter the PIN you want to use to keep unauthorized users from sending emails using your profile.

12. At Confirm PIN, re-enter the PIN to confirm.

E-mail Message Preferences:

13. At Maximum size for e-mail message attachments, select Auto.  This is the default value.

14. Check the Include sender in all e-mail messages sent out successfully from the device box, if you would like to be CC'd of all out bound messages using your account.

Finally, click the Save and Test button at the bottom of the page.  Hopefully you will get a confirmation that the configuration is correct. 

From the sounds of it you have quite possible already done all of these things.  I would contact your ISP and make sure you are using the right respective e-mail server name(s) and port(s).  Make sure you use enable SSL and authentication and enter the necessary information for it to be able to do so where required.  Lastly, make sure your password is entered correctly. 

I hope some where some part of this helps. 

Student
MHKALB
Message 9 of 18 (27,996 Views)

Has anyone been able to successfully set this up using AT&T Uverse and an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router? I have not been able to get it to work, even having followed the directions listed in the thread.
Honor Student
Robert-de-Bock
Message 10 of 18 (27,106 Views)

Yes, it's working now (Apple Time Capsule as our "network device", using DHCP for all devices on the network.

When printing the (network) configuration on the printer, I noticed the gateway was set to 0.0.0.0, although the Time Capsule (DHCP server) gives out a correct gateway.

To work around this problem, set the IP, netmask and gateway of your printer manually to something usable. Hope this helps you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation