Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was faced with the same problem. I installed OJ PRO 8600 on 2 PC's, in my office, with windows XP. Both PC's are almost the same - the only difference was that the second PC had a web camera (logitech E3500). 

For the first PC all was ok. The second couldn't scan. I followed all the instructions but, after may tries and hours, nothing. At "my computer (right click), properties, hardware" i could see the device, but at "my computer" there was a device with no properties. 

At last i observed that at the second pc the scanner had on more "driver" who was propably, from the web camera. It seems that there was a conflict between already installed driver for the web camera and the printer. So, i unistalled both web camera and OJ PRO 8600 drivers and i installed printer driver again, and this time all seems to work correctly. 

HP Recommended

been haveing crazy problems with the 8600 premium. I'm the expert on site tech for my staples store and have tried wireless, usb, uninstall, reinstall, swapped out the printer but still the same problem. the very first scan is successful but after that on the next scan the image starts to show up in the preview box and then fails saying scanner unreachable. this same error comes up for both wireless and usb connection so we can eliminate firewall, router distance and what not. did the hp scan and print doctor twice, both after restarting the unit starts to scan to test the WIA, which a scanner progam opens up, but nothing happens. still says it's scanning but the printer says it's done. I have disabled and re-enabled services and dependencies still with non success. they have had another scanner working before which all of that stuff has been removed. computer is new from Dell Vostro i7 8gbs windows 7 64bit. the last thing i can think to try is to remove trend micro but it should still work with usb if that was the problem. A solution to this would be help full as we have spent 6 hours at the house trying to figure out this issue.

HP Recommended
You are the best. It worked. I spent 2 hours with one of your overseas counterparts who read solutions of a checklist to me leaving me very exasperated. You hit the nail on the head first time
HP Recommended

I, too, have tried MANY times to re-install the 8600 software on my Toshiba (32) running Win7 Pro SP1.  It prints just fine from both PCs on the wired network.  It scans (HP SCAN.exe) fine from an HP PC (coincidence?).  It scans fine to network folders on the Toshiba when initiated from the 8600 control pad (but no OCR capability.)  HP Scan does not run on the Toshiba and consistently declares the Scanner Unreachable.

On the last installation attempt, I first removed all traces of HP software from the laptop before doing the installation, to no avail.  I verified that the services were all running.

Help, Mr. Wizard!

HP Recommended

Hi E-1,

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi,

I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor and got the following:

HP Print and Scan Doctor 201209250844.JPG

The Troubleshooting Firewalls shows Norton Internet Security: Unknown; McAfee Personal Firewall: Disabled, and Microsoft Windows Firewall: Disabled

A manual scan from the printer touch panel successfully stores the PDF in the folder on the same computer that gets the above error from the Scan Doctor.

HP Recommended

Hi E-1,

Disable your firewall or internet securtiy software, and then follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the printer.

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click on Uninstall a program

3. Uninstall the Officejet 8600 from the list

4. Reboot your computer

5. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

6. Download the full feature software and drivers, and then reinstall the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-97846-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Disabled firewall

Uninstalled 8600

Rebooted

Installed latest version of Adobe flash player per given link

Downloaded full feature software and drivers.  When installing, it says it is the basic driver, not full-featured.  Is that expected?  (I have the N911g (CN579A) device.)

Ran HP Print and Scan Doctor 3.0:Ran Fix Printing: No problems found...all green checks.

Ran Fix Scanning: Driver Errora; Scan Driver is unable to communicate with the product. Reboot (skipped)

Windows (WIA) Scan: Windows (WIA) Scan Error:  Pleaes save work, unplug everything, and restart computer. (skipped)

HP Twain Scan: Scanner communication cannot be established.  unplug everything and retry (skipped)

Registry is okay (green check)

HP Scan is okay (green check)

Re-enabled firewalls and services

Rebooted

What now?

HP Recommended

Hi E-1,

Do you have this issue on more than one computer? 

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:
1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files
2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition
3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure
4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:
1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.
2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).
3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.
4. 2 services should be listed.
5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.
7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.
8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.
9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.
10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error. This should fix your problem

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

This situation is only happening on my Toshiba laptop.  The installation went just fine on my HP Omni and scanning works from the Omni.

WIA service was started and set to Automatic.  I restarted it anyway.

WIA Local Component service had 2 Dependencies:

RPC was Started and Automatic

Shell Hardware Detection was Started and Automatic, changed to Manual Startup Type

Scan Doctor still cannot communicate with scanner.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.