Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet Pro 8600 Plus and I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) and it prints and copies but will not scan. I've had a hell of a time trying to get this thing to scan - I even spent an hour and a half with HP tech support and they couldn't solve it and the finally gave up and told me to call Micro$oft that it must be a windows problem (Windows is up to date by the way).

I've tried opening the Scanning software and nothing happens when I click the icon - the loading icon flashes for a second and then only a mouse pointer. Nothing happens if I try to start it from All Programs. Nothing happens if I try to Scan to Computer from the printer other than it tells me the scan failed and that there could be severalpossible reasons (not connected, software being used, etc).

I've installed and uninstalled. A couple times it had trouble installing but eventually got it connected. One time it wouldn't uninstall from the Control Panel untill I did it directly from the HP folder. I've connected it wirelessly and by USB. I've installed the bloatware version. I've cleaned that out and tried the drivers only version. The HP support person had me go in and removed a bunch of stuff from the Registry. I've tried running it as an adminstrator. Nothing works. I even tried scanning using Windows Scan and Fax. I've turned off Kaspersky and made sure my firewal was disabled.

I'm at my wits end with this and am definitely regretting my purchase at the moment. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, it gets to the Windows (WIA) Scan and throws an error:

"The Windows Imaging service is not running....If the issue persists, you will not be able to scan using applications that use this service, such as Microsoft Paint. HP scanning software might still work."

It asked me to restart and run the diagnostic again but I got the same result.

I then skipped to HP Twain Scan and got another error:

"The Twain component is not functioning correctly becaus the product is being used by another process. Save your work, and then close all applications. Turn the product off, turn it on again, and then click Restart and Retest...."

It then tells me is the problem persists to uninstall the software and reinstall the Full Feature software (which I did, but to know avail).

*EDIT

Problem solved!  After you had me run the diagnostic tool I Googled the WIA problem and found that several other people had the same issue. One person had a response from Micro$oft saying it was a Windows 7 issue and how to fix it -- here is the text I found:                                                                                                           

To start the WIA service, you need to start all the dependency services. To start the dependency services, please follow the steps mentioned below:

->>Click on Start->Type “services.msc” and hit enter, once you get the services window up, please do the rest steps.

->>First check and note all the dependency services-:

->>Right click on WIA->Properties->Dependency tab, Check the services name listed there.

It should contain following services:

*Remote Procedure Call RPC

->>DCOM Server Process Launcher

->>RPC Endpoint Mapper

*Shell Hardware Detection

Make sure all the above services are started in the services list.

Last time we started Shell Hardware Detection, which solves our problem.

(Andy, this is important.  Select "Shell Hardware Detection" and start that service which should start your "Windows Imaging Acquisition".  If it does not then select WIA and change the start to 'Automatic'.  This fixed my issues) After starting all the dependency services, please try to Start WIA service, it should resolve the issue.                                                                                                                                                                                       

(For those who are iffy with computers, like me, when you click on the Start icon, you can type services.msc  into the search programs box or click on Run and type it in there). Once inside the list of services, you can look at the dependencies by right clicking on the Windows Image Acquistion service and selecting Properties. Make note of those dependencies. Then go back to the main list and look to see if those dependencies are Started. My Shell Hardware Detection said Disabled, so I right clicked on it; however, the Start selection was greyed out and I couldn't select it, so in the Startup type drop down box I selected Automatic, applied it, closed the Services window and then started my Scan software and presto, it worked.

Thanks for setting me on the right path!

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72
HP Recommended

Hi sdlayton,

First thing I want to do is run the scan diagnostic utility to see what errors it finds. Click on the link below and follow the document to use the scan utility. Let me know what you find out?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi, it gets to the Windows (WIA) Scan and throws an error:

"The Windows Imaging service is not running....If the issue persists, you will not be able to scan using applications that use this service, such as Microsoft Paint. HP scanning software might still work."

It asked me to restart and run the diagnostic again but I got the same result.

I then skipped to HP Twain Scan and got another error:

"The Twain component is not functioning correctly becaus the product is being used by another process. Save your work, and then close all applications. Turn the product off, turn it on again, and then click Restart and Retest...."

It then tells me is the problem persists to uninstall the software and reinstall the Full Feature software (which I did, but to know avail).

*EDIT

Problem solved!  After you had me run the diagnostic tool I Googled the WIA problem and found that several other people had the same issue. One person had a response from Micro$oft saying it was a Windows 7 issue and how to fix it -- here is the text I found:                                                                                                           

To start the WIA service, you need to start all the dependency services. To start the dependency services, please follow the steps mentioned below:

->>Click on Start->Type “services.msc” and hit enter, once you get the services window up, please do the rest steps.

->>First check and note all the dependency services-:

->>Right click on WIA->Properties->Dependency tab, Check the services name listed there.

It should contain following services:

*Remote Procedure Call RPC

->>DCOM Server Process Launcher

->>RPC Endpoint Mapper

*Shell Hardware Detection

Make sure all the above services are started in the services list.

Last time we started Shell Hardware Detection, which solves our problem.

(Andy, this is important.  Select "Shell Hardware Detection" and start that service which should start your "Windows Imaging Acquisition".  If it does not then select WIA and change the start to 'Automatic'.  This fixed my issues) After starting all the dependency services, please try to Start WIA service, it should resolve the issue.                                                                                                                                                                                       

(For those who are iffy with computers, like me, when you click on the Start icon, you can type services.msc  into the search programs box or click on Run and type it in there). Once inside the list of services, you can look at the dependencies by right clicking on the Windows Image Acquistion service and selecting Properties. Make note of those dependencies. Then go back to the main list and look to see if those dependencies are Started. My Shell Hardware Detection said Disabled, so I right clicked on it; however, the Start selection was greyed out and I couldn't select it, so in the Startup type drop down box I selected Automatic, applied it, closed the Services window and then started my Scan software and presto, it worked.

Thanks for setting me on the right path!

HP Recommended

Hi sdlayton,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing sdlayton its greatly appreciated !!

"Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP"
HP Recommended

Glad to hear someone had success. I have an OfficeJet Pro 8600, and have installed from CD and latest driver (multiple times), but still cannot scan. Have run the HP Scan Utility, and it stops at the WIA line -- but no Fix button is displayed. Checked the services mentioned above, and everything is set to 'Started' and 'Automatic'.

I am using a network cable, not wireless nor USB.

I have gone through this cycle at least 4 times, and finally admit defeat. Can someone help? Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have finally installed successfully, and just want to give a brief explanation for people who venture here in the future.

The problem I had was that I could not scan from Windows 7 (64 bit) to my new OfficeJet Pro 8600.

Steps to cure after MANY MANY variations:

1) Ran Windows Uninstall, but the Basic Driver never went away.

2) Ran HP's Scrubber, but old driver still remained.

3) Go mad and manually deleted every HP file I could find.

4) Downloaded latest CCleaner, and ran it several times to clean out orphan Registry entries and other files.

5) Tried to install HP's latest driver. It failed with an "Error 3: Failed to copy port monitor files." message.

6) Ran CCleaner again.

7) Downloaded and ran Microsoft's new FixIT program. (It replaced their older msicuu.exe.) This is GOOD!

😎 Installation of the HP full featured driver worked.

Lesson learned -- HP needs a better "scrubber". It doesn't do what it says -- it leaves all sorts of files in place.

HP Recommended

I did all of this and still no scanning, just printing  HELPP!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi Handykc,

Can you make a copy from the printer in standalone mode?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I can make a copy in standalone mode I can print either Usb or wireless, I can scann USB but can't scan wireless

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.