Question

Top Student
mayslot
Message 1 of 6 (448 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet Pro 8600 print jobs stuck in queue - Intermittent Wireless

[ Edited ]

We have a HP Officejet Pro 8600  (CM947A) that we have been using this for several years without a problem.  I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit version.  We have two PCs that print wirelessly.  Several days ago, print jobs started to get stuck in the printer queue for both PCs.  I can cancel the print job from the queue, however the next job will get stuck again.  I am printing Microsoft Word documents that contain one sentence.  The problem goes away if I cycle power on the printer, but the problem comes back the next morning.  I have re-installed  the printer software and changed the channel on the router to channel 8 which no one in the area is using.  The firmware on the printer is up to date.  The HP Print and Scan Doctor software did not solve the problem. The faint blue wireless indicator on the right side of the printer is on when the problem occurs.  When the print jobs are stuck in the queue, I cannot connect to the printer by typing the IP address in a browser window.  

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 2 of 6 (401 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 print jobs stuck in queue - Intermittent Wireless

Hi mayslot,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see that you are having some issue with maintaining a wireless connection.  I have a few suggestions that we can try and with any luck attempt to get this issue resolved for you. 

Please start off by making sure you have the printer power cable to a wall outlet and NOT a power bar/strip.  HP printers already have a built in surge protector and if you have it connected to a bar/strip, the printer will NOT get all the power it needs to function properly and this could cause issues with the wireless card in the printer.  Here is a document that explains the Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector.

Please note that the printer listed in the document is a LaserJet printer and it is only used as an example.  The document is meant for HP products in general.

I am also going to add as document how to troubleshoot when the Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

I hope the information I have provided is helpful.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to write me back and I will be happy to help.

Thank you for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
mayslot
Message 3 of 6 (395 Views)

[ Edited ]

I disconnected the printer from the power strip and connected the printer to the wall as you suggested.  Connectivity to the printer returned.  The connection lasted for about 5 minutes for both PCs, which is typical after a power cycle.   I measured 119 VAC at the wall outlet.  Previous to my first  post, I  executed the well written instructions in the "Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection" link several times.  Right now, both PCs have connectivity with the internet but not the printer.  

Top Student
mayslot
Message 4 of 6 (352 Views)

I would appreciate a response to my reply above.

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 5 of 6 (346 Views)

Hello again mayslot,

If you have followed all the steps outlined in the document I have provided and you are still having issues, I would then suggest calling HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here: click here.

Thank you once again for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
mayslot
Message 6 of 6 (336 Views)

This problem was resolved by the phone support number shown above.  We resolved the problem by changing the encryption on the router from WPA2 to WPA+WPA2.   The router is a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO Router P57746-B.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation