Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I am ready to send this printer back and be done with HP for good.

I replaced my previous photosmart with this printer because it wouldn't scan.

Now I have installed this new printer and it still doesn't scan.

When I run HP doctor, Fix Scanning, it stops on Driver Check.

I have followed all the steps at http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04090234

This includes uninstalling, doing disk cleanup, restarting with startup services disabled, reinstalling.

Any other steps HP would like me to try before I decare the age of HP printers dead in my house?

-t

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Today I received my final answer. I must wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch, according to the case manager whom I just got off the phone with.

Never mind that other products scan fine in Windows. HP expects me to wipe out everything and start over.

Warranty only covers hardware. Not the useless drivers that HP writes. So I can't even get my money back for this garbage.

No HP. You do not support your products. you do not create products that work. You do not help your customers.

I want my money back. And I will get it... even if I have to have the credit card go after you for it. And I will never, EVER endorse or recommend your products again. in fact, It's now my mission to make sure no one I care about ever buys one of your products.

Solution: don't buy HP.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello @the8re , and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you're running into scan issues.  I would love to try and help you, but I do need a little information first. I am linking a few HP Support documents below that will show you how to find  which operating system you are using. Also, if you're using Windows, please include whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit. With this information we can provide you with accurate information.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please let me know what you find.  Thanks for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1

HP Recommended

Hi @the8re , and thanks for getting back to me!

It is odd that two printers won't scan.  I'll try to determine if it's a system issue.  Also do you remember what model the old printer was?   Also, is your PC is an HP, and is your connection type wireless or via a USB cable? 

I would recommend running an SFC scan on your computer.  Once the scan is completed, run the Microsft fix it tool.  I am linking documents below:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Diagnose and fix printer and printing problems automatically

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would recommend creating a new user account and turning off any firewalls.

I would then suggest putting your system into clean boot mode within the Microsoft configuration.  You can do so by following this document: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Once the computer is in clean boot mode, I would suggest reinstalling the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows.

Please let me know how that goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Jamieson,

There is something seriously wrong with the HP scan drivers. The previous model was an HP Photosmart B209a-m.

I changed routers and had to reinstall the printer with an USB cable in order to update the wireless connection. After that, I was constantly getting HP error pop-ups saying it couldn't locate the scanner, although the printer still worked.

I got sick of those, and the scan quality was no longer good anyhow, so we upgraded to the newer model. Again, printing works (over wireless) but scanning has never functioned.

As noted in the original post, I have gone through the clean boot install steps. I have also already run SFC. Printing also works fine, so the printer link you provided does not apply.

I can scan from my Neat scanner with no problems.

Finally, i have a Windows update that will not install. it is called: Hewlett-Packard - Other hardware, Printer - Null Print - HP Officejet Pro 8620. Whenever I attempt to install it faols with error:

Code 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

The KB article related to this error indicates using System Update Rediness Tool. If that doesn't work,  it indicates using  the original DVD to repair Windows.

None of these steps have corrected the problems.

This all started with a reinstall of the original Photosmart drivers. There is something very wrong with the drivers from what I can tell, and there seems to be no way to over-write them and get the scanner working again. Please do not advise wiping my system and doing a fresh OS install. It would easier to purchase another vendor's product and return this one!

The system is a Dell Studio XPS 435T.

Thank you for looking into this.

-t

HP Recommended

Hi the8re, and I hope you had a good weekend

I would recommend the following steps:

-stop the print spooler service

-go to your C folder

-rename this folder from

c:\windows\twain_32

to

c:\windows\twain_32.old

-rename this folder from  

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3

to

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3.old

-restart the print spooler service

-Go to your temp folder

-go to 7z12345 (the extracted hp download software folder)

-right click 0j862x64.msi

-select repair  

-click your 8620 icon on the desktop to connect new device

-test scan functionality

If that doesn't resolve your issue, I would recommend contacting HP directly.  You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Did the above steps. Had to do a clean boot in rename the folder "3". Finished the steps, rebooted. Clicked on the printer, clicked on Scan a document. And the answer is...

"The HP Officejet Pro 8620 was not found."

Looks like I'm calling in.

HP Recommended

Sorry HP You've blown it. I spent an hour watching the tech do exactly what we've done on here. He escalated it, and I was told to expect a call after 2pm within 24-48 hours. That was on Monday. On Saturday they called me at 8pm and I was not home. They were told to call back Monday after 2 pm. They called at 1pm. I called back at 3:30 with my case number. I spent 20 minutes watching the tech do what we've done, and I'm told there's no way to contact the team that this is escalated to. I have to wait until it is convenient for them to call me back.

Clearly India cannot translate from their time zone to ours.

Please post the necessary information to return this printer. I no longer have the original packaging.

You have 48 hours until I file a fraud claim with my credit card.

-t

HP Recommended

HP does not support their products, do not buy.

this will likely be deleted to prevent you from seeing the truth.

HP Recommended

Hi @the8re ,

I have sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your private messages then this post has instructions that will guide you through the process.

Thanks for visiting the HP Support Forum

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.