Question

Honor Student
LodewykC
Message 1 of 8 (238 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet Pro K5400

I have used my printer with Windows XP for a few years. Now I have upgraded to Windows 8 on a new laptop and wanted to install the printer but it won't. A minute or so into the installation, I get a message that installation cannot be completed due to something incompatible. Do I need special software for Windows 8?

PhD Student
Dot4
Message 2 of 8 (232 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro K5400

Yes you will need software for WIndows 8.  Here is a llnk to HP.com to download

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=2511...

I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**
Honor Student
LodewykC
Message 3 of 8 (224 Views)

Installation of drivers for Windows 8 does not solve my problem of being unable to install the original software in the first place. The system seem to be incompatible with the installation disk's requirements

PhD Student
Dot4
Message 4 of 8 (219 Views)

LodewykC,

The installation CD that came with your product does not support Windows 8.  To install the software for the printer you have to go to the link and download the software from HP.com and install it.  The CD will not work.

I was an HP employee

Honor Student
Pigley
Message 5 of 8 (195 Views)

[ Edited ]

The link does not offer a download. Instead it tells you to install a printer driver using Windows Update. Which doesn't work. Why oh why do you not offer a simple driver download like Canon do. This non-working process is very frustrating and puts me off buying any new HP kit - and I say that as an ex-HP employee with lots of goodwill for HP.

Honor Student
Pigley
Message 6 of 8 (193 Views)

It doesn't work!!
PhD Student
Dot4
Message 7 of 8 (187 Views)

Pigley,

I just checked on my Windows 8 PC and it does have a WIndows 8 update driver see below

K5400.jpg

How are you trying to install the printer?

I was an HP employee

Honor Student
Pigley
Message 8 of 8 (175 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well you are lucky because there is no such option on my machine.

I do as instructed on your website and use the control panel to add a printer. I then ask windows update to find a driver and it does not find one, so I'm stuck.

It would be so much simpler if you just offered a downloadable driver. Canon do it and it's a far more reliable process. At the moment I can't use my printer because of this and it's a completely avoidable situation - I just need a driver please!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation