Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Tonight I tried to install a HP P1505n printer (that was at the time hooked up to my Netgear router and was being used  by another lap top in the home that Il call lap top # 1. It was working flawlessly before I started to play with everything).

I could not get lap top #2 to recognize the printer. I was told that if I used a printer cable and hooked it up that lap top #2 would then recognize it. So I did and it worked fine, hard wired to the 2nd lap top. I was pretty proud of myself! ( FYI the printer was still connected to the router when I hard wired it to thw 2nd computer.)  I then shut the printer down along with lap top 2 and disconnected the USB port to computer # 2 and restarted lap top #2 and the printer thinking that now that the drivers were installed that it would recognize my printer via the router. NOW nothing works and my lap top# 1 says that the printer is "off line" as does the lap top # 2. I have double checked the data cable to the router and it is lit up and displays a solid green glow at the plug end. I have tried to go into the printer properties and uncheck the "work off line" but it makes no difference, I cannot print a test page or document from either lap top.  By now you know that I am not much of a computer guy. I am older thn dirt and as dumb as a rock when it comes to these sorts of problems. I am afraid I need some major help.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi Ralph22,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see that you are having some problems with the printer over the network working on the two computers.
I will be happy to help you.

Print a configuration page from the printer to see what the IP address is for the printer.
Press the Go button. (green button)

Check the IP address on the computer to make sure it matches the printer's IP address.

Go to start, devices and printers, right click the printer, go to printer properties, select ports tab, click configure port.

Check the IP address.
If they don't match then close the configure port window and click create a port and follow the wizard.

Type in the proper IP address.
Make sure the printer is online.

Test the printer.

If you are still having issues, find out what the IP address is for the computer is.
The first 3 sets of numbers have to match for the printer to get connected to the same network.

Go to start, run, (might have to type run in search window) type cmd, type in ipconfig.
Check the IP address.
Now check the IP address for the printer.
Do the first 3 sets of numbers match?

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Let me know how this goes for you.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.
Have a wonderful day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Geminin02

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for not responding sooner, I had to be out of the area and I do not have access to  a computer when I leave home.

I have not been able to get my printer to print out a configuration page. When I press the green "go" button,  the printer makes a single, faint, click, the green light blinks only once and  thats it. It does not print the page. Is there any other way to find its IP address?  I tried to find it under properties, but no luck there. ( FYI the printer will print if conected to the lap tops with a cable so I think we can rule out that it is broken) Your continued assistance is deeply apprciated.

Thank you

Ralph22

HP Recommended

Hi Ralph221,

Since you are able to print from another computer, the self test should also be printing.

I would do a power reset to see if that will resolve the issue.

With the printer still turned on, disconnect the power cable from the back of the printer.

Then disconnect the power cable from the wall outlet.

Wait 10 seconds and reconnect the power cable back to the wall outlet first, then the back of the printer and power it on again.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)

Try the test page again. Hold the green button a little longer to see if that makes a difference.

You can also access the IP address by going to start, devices and printers, right click the printer icon, left click printer properties, click on the ports tab, the printer should be listed for TCP/IP, then click configure port to get the IP address.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Let me know how that goes and we will go from there.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Gemini02

To be sure I did not give you a misleading commnet, I can print from either lap top if and only if I use a USB printer cable. I cannot print anything with eitherlap top using the network. Again this all started  when I tried to connect another lap top (#2) to my network.

I did do a power reset with no change in the system. And I have tried to hold down the go button for 5-10 seconds no change. I even tried to hold down the go button and the x button at the same time. All to no avail.

I did go to my printer properties on my #1 lap top and have a port IP address of  192.168.1.5 but I have no idea why it will is not recognized by the lap top. I am begining to think that the issue may somehow be in my router IP.  When this all started I did a power start on the router ( same process as the printer) and it did not help.  I suppose I could try to reconfigure it.  Not too sure I wont mess it up and then really be in deep doo. Right now my router is working for my two lap tops.  I am not a person who is computer smart but I wonder if I uninstall the HP software and disconnect everything if that would make a change. But it takes about 30 minutes to download. I no longer have the disc that came with the printer. This has to be a simple fix. Somwhow the router is not seeing the printer.

HP Recommended

Hi Ralph221.

Print a configuration page through the software while connected by the USB cable.

Printing a Configuration Page in Windows.

Find out what the IP address is for the printer.

Does it match the IP address assigned on the computer?  (192.168.1.5)

If the IP address doesn't match then do the following:

Go to start, devices and printers, right click the printer, go to printer properties, select the ports tab, select new port, click standard TCP/IP address, next, type in IP address, next, finish.

Make sure printer is online by  right clicking the printer, see whats printing, click the printer button at top of screen, make sure use printer offline isn't checked. If it is click it to uncheck it.

Test the printer.

If the IP address does match from the ports window and the configuration IP address then do the following steps:

Find out what the IP address is for the computer and the printer.
The first 3 sets of numbers have to match for the printer to get connected to the same network.

Go to start, run, (might have to type run in search window) type cmd, type in ipconfig.
Check the IP address.
Now check the IP address for the printer.
Do the first 3 sets of numbers match?

Let me know how that goes and we will go from there.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I feel like we are going in circles, nothing is working. No matter what we are able to match up, we end up as off line. I have not been able to get a config page printed no matter what we have tried, inlcuding this series of efforts. 

HP Recommended

Hi Ralph22,

Sorry that we haven't resolve this issue yet. We will get there. Smiley Happy

Since the printer will print through the USB connection, it should be able to print the configuration report through the print driver also.  We need to get the IP address that the router has assigned the printer.

The IP address on the computer is probably a different IP address that the router has now assigned it and we need to configure the computer with the proper IP.

This information is from the manual from page 42. HP LaserJet P1000 and P1500 Series User Guide.

Configuration page:
The Configuration page lists current settings and properties of the device. It also contains a status log
report.

To print a configuration page, do one of the following:
 Press the Go button when the device Ready light is on and no other jobs are printing (HP LaserJet P1500 Series only).
Select it from the Print Information Pages drop-down on the Services tab in Printer Preferences.

See if the printer will print a hardware self test. Open and close the top lid 5 times quickly.

It will print out a page with black lines on it.

Did that print?

Can you still print by USB?

What operating system are you using on each computer?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Power cycle the router and the printer, then go to start, devices and printers, click on Add a printer and go through  the wizard to see if it finds the printer. Write down the IP address if it shows it listed. Finish the wizard. This will create a new port in case the IP address has changed.

(if the printer isn't found, then connect the Ethernet cable to a different port on the router.

Then try printing again.

What kind of router do you have?

Please let me know the results in detail so we can figure this out together if you are still having issues.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I used the open the printer lid 4 times option. ALl that printed out was a page full of lines about an 1/8" apart. BUT, NOW I CANT PRINT AT ALL, USB CABLE OR NOT! We have gone from bad to worse! I have no idea where to go from here except to the dump and toss this unit!

HP Recommended

Gemini02

After not being able to print at all, I decided to try another option. I went to the control panel (as in the past, this is my 4th printer search) and selected "add a printer". WIth the USB connected I added the printer again. ( this constitutes the 3rd copy). I can now print again using the USB connection on the USB virtual port. On the test page it says "USB001"

By the way, with the USB connected I could not force a configure page using the control panel instructions for Vista (Home Premium). I do not have a "hardware sounds" icon, only "printer" and in opening the printer properties I had none of the suggested options so that is why I went to opening and closing the printer lid.

I have a netgear router. I am confident the isue lies with the printer that somehow got corrupted and cannot be found by the router.

So do you have a contact number? Or regular email. I suspect the forum is getting tired of my dumb posts.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.