HP Photosmart 5510 All-in-One Printer; Windows Vista; Custom Print Paper Size (2332 Views)
Tutor
Una_Kilgarriff
Message 1 of 21 (2,332 Views)

HP Photosmart 5510 All-in-One Printer; Windows Vista; Custom Print Paper Size

[ Edited ]

How can I customise Print Page size? Using Microsoft Publisher and an odd greetings card size? I am unable to match the page size for the printer to the page size being used.  Publisher allows me to choose the page size but the Printer does not allow me to set the same page size. For Publisher this is crucial to the finished document.  Failure to set correct Printer page size to match that of the document results in the placement of text and graphics innacurately on the printed page.  Can I customise the page size to dimensions that I choose?  Is there some part of the software I have not installed?

Thank you

Úna

Intern
NandaKM
Message 2 of 21 (2,310 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5510 All-in-One Printer; Windows Vista; Custom Print Paper Size

Hi Una,

Please try the below steps to create a custome paper size.

( you have not mentioned the OS you are using, I have provided the steps for accessing "Print server properties"in Win 7..)

1.Go to "Devices and printers" (Start>> Devices and printers
2.Select the printer driver, on top of page "Print server properties" will be displayed
3. Click on "Print Server Properties"
4. Under Forms tab
5.Click "Create a New Form" and add the paper size information that you want
6.Click on Save Form.

Now open Printing preferences and the paper size you have provided above should appear in the list. 

Note:The paper size will appear only if the size is supported by the printer please refer the "Product specification"page for supported media size info.

HOpe the provided information helps you!!

an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP. .....

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star next to the Post that helps you.

Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Tutor
Una_Kilgarriff
Message 3 of 21 (2,300 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5510 All-in-One Printer; Windows Vista; Custom Print Paper Size

Thanks for your reply. However, I did state Windows Vista in my Post! I cannot find Print Server Properties anywhere in Vista so cannot follow your instructions.  I am using Vista Business on one computer and Vista Home Premium on another, both of which use the printer.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Una

Intern
NandaKM
Message 4 of 21 (2,293 Views)

Hi Una,

Sorry about that...

Follow the below steps to access Print server properties in Windows Vista:

1. click on Start >> Printers

2. In the "Printers" folder, click "File" on the tool bar in the top and click on "Server Properties"

Note: If the tool bar is not visible, press the "Alt" key on the keyboard to get the tool bar 

Then follow the steps I have provided above to create the form.

Hope it helps!

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star next to the Post that helps you.

Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Student
niyas23
Message 5 of 21 (2,129 Views)

Dear Sir,

as per your instruction I set custom paper size and printed But later it does not appears in dropdown list for selecting paper size in printer properties. 

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 21 (2,111 Views)

Hello niyas23

You can follows these steps to set custom paper sizes.

* Open the Print dialog box.
    * Make sure that your product is in the Name drop-down list box, and then click Properties .
    * Click the Features or the Paper/Quality tab. 
    * Select the paper size from the Size drop-down list.
If the required paper size is not in the drop-down list, follow these steps to create a custom paper size.
    * Select Custom from the Size drop-down list, or the Custom tab.
    * In the Custom Paper Size dialog box, type a name for the new custom size.
    * In the Width and Height boxes, or the Width and Length boxes, type the dimensions.
    * Select the unit of measurement, and then click Save .
    * Click OK to close the Custom Paper Size dialog box, and then click OK again to close the Properties dialog box.
NOTE:You must exit the Properties dialog box to apply your changes.
    * Open the Properties dialog box again, and then select the new custom size from the Size drop-down list.
    * From the Properties dialog box, select the paper type.
    * In the Paper Type drop down list, click More .
    * Click the desired paper type, and then click OK .
    * Select the paper source from the Paper Source drop-down list.
    * Change any other settings, and then click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

You may have better luck with this method.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Tutor
Una_Kilgarriff
Message 7 of 21 (1,976 Views)

Thank you for trying to solve my Paper Size issue with the above printer. I had abandoned trying to do this for a while but it has become an issue again. I formatted my computer and re-installed printer since we last communicated but I don't think I had ever resolved the issue!

I have just tried your instructions again this morning and when I look for a Custom Paper size to set there is no Custom Size option in the printing preferences.

My operating system is Windows Vista Business.

Can you please try again to help me to resolve this issue.

Thank you

Úna

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 8 of 21 (1,959 Views)

Hello Una_Kilgarriff

What are the sizes of the greeting card?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Tutor
Una_Kilgarriff
Message 9 of 21 (1,947 Views)

I have tried to use a few different sizes such as 7.6 cm by 20.3 cm, and 12.7 cm by 12.7 cm.  These measurements are half the entire page as it is a folded card opened out for printing.

The problem is that I have no option to set any Custom Size for the printer.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 10 of 21 (1,945 Views)

Hello Una_Kilgarriff

Try the following instructions and let me know if it allows you to create custom sizes:

1. Open devices and printer
2. Click Add a printer
3. Click Add a local printer
4. From the Use existing port select the USB option, and then click next
5. Click on the Windows Update button to get all support drivers updated
6. Once update is finished. Click on HP from left menu, and then select the Deskjet 990c from the right menu, and then click next.  
7. Follow the remaining instructions to complete the installation.  
8. Open Printers folder
9. Right click on Photosmart 5510, and then select Properties
10. Click on the Advanced Tab
11. Click on the drop down arrow under Driver to change to the 990c driver, and then click ok to accept the new driver.
Try printing to your Photosmart 5510 printer using this driver. Let me know if you have the same issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation