Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

My print head on the printer looks like it needs cleaning as i prints fine for a little and then i am unable to print black at all. I took a damp cloth and just got some of the ink from top of the screen but its only temporary and clogs up again quickly. Can someone instruct me on removing the print head completely so I can soak  and get all the old ink out? I have the HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One Printer - B111a.

Pictures would help out a lot but instructions would do also. FYI - There is no lever on the rightside of black to lift so do not instruct me to do that.

Thanks

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

Hi stenz,

The printhead for this printer is not removable.  It would be a good idea to check the ink levels for all cartridges and replacing any low cartridges.  A low color cartridge could keep the black from printing. 

The printer does have a built in printhead cleaning utility as described in the following link.  Black Ink is Missing on Printouts.  I recommend following the steps in the link and running the utility up to 3 times.  Let me know how it goes.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have tried everything you describe and there is still no black ink printing.  This is a new printer and I don't want to have to bring it in for service if possible.  How can I go about cleaning the print head manually?  

Like the original poster I believe that the ink clog is on the underside of the head.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, your printer does not have a removable print head. If using the document did not help, I would recommend that you call HP at 1-800-474-6836 to have the printer replaced, since it is new and still in warranty.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I unhooked the top and unscrewed all the screws (there is one under the HP printer label, and 2 behind the LCD  which pulls off toward you)- and then I took the top off and wiped the print head off really well. ... it worked but beware, it took me forever to get it back in right - you have to take 2 springs off and unclip the color flat white things... to take it out. I would advise taking some really close up pictures of the back edge of the holder - that is the piece I had trouble getting back into its proper position.

HP Recommended
I need a picture of the little springs you have to remove when you take the screws out.
HP Recommended
I need pictures of the springs in place
HP Recommended
I need pictures of the springs in place please
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I havent see printer that does not have a removable print head.. 

1. lift scanner up(loose holder).

2. remove all screws (hex) 

3. remove touchpad / cover

4. remove cartridges

5. remove 2x springs (just next to cartridges) bright metal-color..

6. lift printerhead and loose 3 flat cables(different sides)

7. clean printerhead carefully( I used pure alcohol, same thats used in fibreoptics cleaning)

install back. (notice that there is a transparent film, for printerhead position sensor need to be in right spot, check before removing) doesnt broke printer but I notice that sucks remove all other parts multiple times for reset the spot..

I notice that  pad that should clean the head where also dirty.

I may have also warrant in machine, but when you need to print papers and the F*** printer doesnt print black.. I'll fix it my self.. with or without support of manufacturer..

HP Recommended

Actually it is removable.  I can see where by squeezing the two sides together I got it loose, but I am unsure of how to removed the cover so as to remove the printerhead.  So my question is then, how does one remove the lid that covers the printer head and the guts of the printer?

Okay, it took some work to find all the screws, I could remove all but the one in the screws (the one in the back in the right... I couldn't get my torks driver on the screw.   

Okay it was a bit of a pain, but then the two springs that hold the print head in place popped off.  I took a photo of what it looks like and it is in a post below... I cleaned the head by soaking it in hot distilled water (not boiling) for 10 minutes as suggested for a different HP printer's printhead.  I got it all back to gether okay, but now I have to figure out where the printhead possision sensor is, as I keep getting a print head jammed error afer the print head trys to slam itself through the right side of the printer.   *Sigh  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.