Top Student
abbismallard
Message 1 of 6 (514 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart 5510 all-in-one inkjet Setup USB connection problem

[ Edited ]

Photosmart 5510 all-in-one inkjet

Windows XP Pro x86 (32 bit) service pack 3

Software installs fine until it asks for connection type. The computer doesn't have wireless so I select USB connection and it fails every time. If I select to connect to PC later and plug in the USB, Windows detects new hardware (HP 5510) and asks where to look for drivers. When directed to the install CD "Invalid Data" error comes up while copying files. Under Device Manager in the USB section it lists the Photosmart 5510 with a yellow !. Selecting reinstall the driver results in an "unable to install error".

There are no other printers currently installed on the computer and the Photosmart 5510 is set as the default printer. So far I have;

tried different usb ports

tried running setup from the install CD

tried downloading updated drivers

tried installing with disabled firewall and antivirus

tried to install in safe mode

Same problem occurs each time. Any solutions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

PhD Student
Wixma
Message 2 of 6 (496 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5510 all-in-one inkjet Setup USB connection problem

Hello abbismallard.

Try the msconfig utility to reboot with minimal resident programs.

1. Click Start - Run and type msconfig. Press Enter.

2. In the System Configuration tool, go to the General tab and choose Diagnostic startup.

3. Click OK and click Reboot when asked.

4. When Windows reboots, try installing the printer driver again.

When the printer driver is installed, then:

1. Click Start - Run and type msconfig. Press Enter.

2. In the System Configuration tool, go to the General tab and choose Normal startup.

3. Click OK and click Reboot when asked.

Let us know if this worked.

Cheers!

Wixma.
I am an HP employee.
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos star in the post.
If my reply resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution so that it can be found easier by other people.
Top Student
abbismallard
Message 3 of 6 (483 Views)

Hi Wixma,

Thanks for the suggestion, however it did not work. I tried a few more things as well:

Replaced windows\system32\usbmon.dll
Used a shorter USB cord to connect the printer
Disconnected all USB devices and uninstalled USB drivers & rebooted
Checked C:\windows\inf folder for usbprint.inf and .pnf naming error

I couldn't find the usbprint.inf file. Maybe that is the cause? Also the computer is a Dell, they seem to have issues like this as Google has revealed to me (without a solution).

Other USB devices are detected and installed properly like mouse and thumb drives. HP Print and Scan Doctor says everything is installed and working properly.
Top Student
abbismallard
Message 4 of 6 (478 Views)

Wasn't a problem with the .inf and .pnf files. Downloaded replacements and still get the unable to install device error
Top Student
abbismallard
Message 5 of 6 (461 Views)

Finally resolved the issue. Had an old Pentium 3 machine laying around and decided to try swapping the harddrive out and see if I could install the printer with different hardware.

Turns out the mup.sys file, which has something to do with PnP devices, was corrupt and Windows wouldn't start in the alternate tower. So, I pulled out the HDD and put it back in the Dell then reformatted Windows XP and guess what, printer installed without a hitch the first time I tried! Now I just have to reinstall everything else on the computer *sigh*

Anyway, printer issue fixed!

PhD Student
Wixma
Message 6 of 6 (445 Views)

I'm glad to know your issue is now resolved.

Cheers!

Wixma.
I am an HP employee.
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos star in the post.
If my reply resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution so that it can be found easier by other people.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation